No Answer

No Answer

March 19, 2024

Rats with Wings

Rats with Wings

March 19, 2024

Everything’s An Aesthetic

Everything’s An Aesthetic

March 19, 2024

Meet your Match

Meet your Match

March 19, 2024

Anything But This

Anything But This

March 19, 2024

Reaching for the Blue Star

Reaching for the Blue Star

March 19, 2024

Forks Down: Aoyama Ramen

Forks Down: Aoyama Ramen

March 18, 2024

Don’t cry over spilt applesauce

Don’t cry over spilt applesauce

March 18, 2024

Patchy Yet Perfect

Patchy Yet Perfect

March 18, 2024

Embrace

Embrace

March 18, 2024

Making it Count

The Cougar softball team worked for the opportunity to attend state this Thursday and Friday. With a successful season of 14 wins and only 8 losses, the team has high expectations for State.

The varsity softball team ended the regular season with a 12-8 record and received the No. 4 seed as they headed into the 6A Regional Tournament.  The girls opened the Regional Tournament on May 14 with a 7-2 win against Blue Valley. Later they faced Olathe South and won the Regional Title game 8-0, achieving their well deserved place in the State tournament.

The whole tournament proved to be an emotional experience for the girls, with many different highlights.

“Kristina hit a triple to lead off the first game, and I hit her in to score,” senior Cortney Weaver said of her favorite moments. “Katt had bases loaded with only one out and struck out the next 2 batters.”

The hard work by each of the individual players paid off in the impressive win against Olathe South.

Freshman Madalyn Fagan recalls the best part of the game against Olathe South.

“The last inning of the second game when we were beating Olathe South by eight, just the fact that we knew we had it in the bag,” Fagan said.

The team ended the Regional Tournament on a very positive note.

“ ending of the two games, we got in our huddle and our coach was telling how proud he was of us,” senior Emily Utech said.

“After the second game was finally over, and we were given the plaque, we all screamed. I immediately hugged my best friend Haley Waters on the team and I also congratulated my pitcher because she did amazing,” senior Cierra Carbajo said. “The entire ride home from ODAC though, I had a huge smile on my face.”

This year is a lot different from any other. In addition to this being most of the girls’ first year going to state, it is also Coach Mark Balderston’s last year.

“The whole team is giving it their all because we want to go out with a bang, and we want it be a team that coach will never forget,” Weaver said.

At the year-end banquet, the seniors gifted Balderston with a fossil watch with the inscription “Thank you for your time.”

“It was really special since its his last year an all,” Fagan said

The team is now putting in more work at the few practices they have left to perform their very best at State.

“I have so much confidence in us. I believe the other teams are going to underestimate us and we have a good chance of winning,” Jaderborg said.

The team will to head to the 6A State Tournament at the Blue Valley West Softball Fields. Their first game will be against Washburn Rural on May 23. The girls are all patiently awaiting the date, all with emotions clearly put in the wise words of senior Bailey Letts: “I expect to win.”