Track and field season preview

Both boys and girls track and field teams are looking to go back to the state meet this year after having two individual state champions last year

“My goals are the same every season, and that is for the varsity people… to qualify for state through regionals, then for as many JV people to get to Sunflower League and get as many medals as possible,” head track coach Mike Cooper said.

“We have had more people come out for the track team this season, than any season I can remember,” Cooper said.

With all of the athletes coming out for the track and field program this year, over 190, there will be a number of people who will be able to step into a leadership position.

“I am always hoping that the high JV and low Varsity athletes will all step up and get onto Varsity,” Cooper said.

At the end of last season some of the most talented track and field athletes to come through NW graduated and are having success in their college track and field careers.

“Last year we had only a few seniors who contributed, but this year we have a really solid group of people who will be able to score some points and help us out,” senior Seth Kotzman said.

The runners were working out before the season started for a couple months to get in shape for this season.

“I did basketball and a few indoor track meets and I have been working on my starts to get ready to run this spring,” sophomore Sarah Hansen said.

The track and field season kicked off with the All Comers Meet at SM South on March 26.

Connor Thompson