Cougars lose a close one to Bishop Miege in Saints Classic final

After a dissapointing loss to the Stags last year, Northwest battles Bishop Miege to the end in a 58-54 loss.

It was a different story one year ago. Northwest and Bishop Miege played last season in the Saint Classic Championship game and ran over the Cougars 78-57. That was not the case this year.

Playing the Stags to the final buzzer, the Cougars kept the game close only trailing by double figures once in the entire game.

In the first quarter, the Cougars began the game by trying to pound the ball inside to Junior  Drew Goodger on the low block, but the Stags defense continued to alter the shots of the Cougars holding them to only 6 points in the opening quarter.

Junior AJ Spencer picked up two early fouls in the quarter putting him on the bench, but he was able to not commit another foul until the fourth quarter after that.

Down 11 points to open the second quarter, Northwest began to knockdown three pointers and claw their way back into the basketball game trailing by only three points at halftime.

Northwest also locked down on defense in the second quarter allowing only seven points and keeping Miege’s two guard tandem Seniors Rodney Givens and Trevor Releford to only 14 points.

Senior Justin McCay was the leading scorer of the half with 8 points for Bishop Miege.

The first part of the third quarter Miege continued to be in control, but never extended the lead. Finally, at 4:15 in the third quarter Junior Trey Fruehling hit a three point basket giving Northwest a one point lead.

The Cougars held the lead and even extended to four at one point. But three consecutive turnovers in the last 30 seconds of the quarter turned out to be a five point swing giving Bishop Miege a three point advantage once again.

In the Fourth quarter each team came out shooting hot, trading baskets for most of the quarter. Northwest even battled back at the 3:30 mark to tie the game at 48. But a few arrant passes let the Miege build up another lead and they never gave it back.

Miege’s Givens was the star of the quarter not missing from the field and putting up 11 of the 21 points for the Stags. Givens was named to the All Tournament team.

Trevor Releford also had some spectacular lay ups to seal the game. He finished the game with 16 points and was named tournament MVP for the second consecutive year.

The Cougars also had two players named to  the All-Tournament team. Junior AJ Spencer who finished the game with 22 points and Senior Steve Carver who had 13 points of his own were both named in the awards ceremony following the game.

Carver also finished 3rd in the Three point Competition making 42 three pointers over a three day span.

Northwest finished the 2-1 and 8-3 for their overall record.

Stats from the game:

AJ Spencer 22 points

Steve Carver 13 points

Drew Goodger 8 points

Trey Fruehling 6 points

Nick Feighner 5 points

View Comments (1)