Run, Throw and Jump

Varsity track and field’s impressive season is winding down with only a few meets to go including the biggest one of all, the Kansas 6A state championships in Wichita.

“I would say overall I think we are doing pretty good so far,” hurdler Mitchell Hodson said.“There are some events that I wish we were doing better in and some that have surprised me..”

The boys’ team has done well this year, gaining many top five finishes, and countless individual winners are on their way to try to win their fifth state title in school history.

“The boys have done a pretty good job,” sprinter Sam Sullivan said. “We’ve worked hard to get where we are now and we’re hungry for state.”

The girls’ team is small but powerful. They have competed hard and have been able to get team top five and individual podium finishes.

“I think the girls’ track team has been working really hard and getting better and better in many ways,” pole vaulter Olivia Williams said. “The team has done best in cheering each other on and really being a team instead of an individual thing.”

The team has had many great moments throughout the season including a trip to KU track and field stadium.

“The best moment so far would probably be just competing at the KU relays,” sprinter Tom Green said. “We are competing on the same track as college athletes and it’s just a great experience.”

The team will still compete in the varsity Sunflower League ,Regionals and the State championship.

“I am looking forward to going to state,” sprinter Sam Sullivan said. “To have fun with some of my best friends and teammates.”