Track and Field Work their Way to State

The track and field team kept their strong season going on the way to the state tournament at the Gardner Mid Season Invitational on April 4. The girls finished 5th and the boys finished 2nd.

“Overall I thought our team did great,” senior Samuel Sullivan said.” We got a lot of points in a lot of areas.”

Mitchel Hodson placed 1st and Richard Rodriguez placed 2nd in the 110 meter hurdles. Clay Drouillard placed 3rd in the 100 meter sprint.  Hodson placed 1st and Rodriguez placed 3rd in the 300 meter hurdles. Chandler Bado finished first in the 800 meter run and Reid Thornburgh finished 2nd in the 3200 meter run. The team finished first in the 400 meter relay. Nate Henderson finished 4th in pole vault and Clay Drouillard finished 2nd in long jump. Dante Colum first in the triple jump and Neil Stimach placed 4th in shot put.

“It was awesome to take 4th in shot ,” senior Neil Stimach.” Most meets I am throwing against the same group of guys whose are incredible throwers and I have only been throwing fro 2 years so 4th place in a varsity meet is huge for me. I think the team did pretty great great overall. When a lot of people are doing will, it makes the meet a whole lot more fun.”

Molly Born placed 2nd and Camille Henderson placed 3rd in the 160- meter run. Born placed 4th in the 800-meter run. Abbi Bird took 1st place in high jump and Olivia Williams finished 2nd in the pole vault. Abigail Kelly-Salo snagged first in the triple jump and Paige Umscheid was 3rd in the javelin throw.

“I was very happy with Gardner because I matched my  ersonal record and almost broke the school record,” junior Abbi Bird said. ”The girls are slowly gaining numbers as the season goes on and I think it’s really helping us as a team to do better overall.”

The team has looked strong this season, capturing many top five team performances with consistent result from Mitchel Hodson, Abbi Bird and Olivia Williams. Everyone has performed well this season and has set personal records at every meet.

“I think so far the team has performed well and have been improving each meet but I don’t think we have met expectations yet.” senior Mitchell Hodson said. “We have plenty of room to improve before the end of the season.”