A fresh start

The Northwest boys’ cross country team is looking to regain their stride in the upcoming season, after falling to Lawrence High last year in the state meet. The second place finish ended what some would consider a dynasty, in which the Cougars won 14 consecutive state titles. Hopes and expectations are high this year, particularly for the returning seniors who have just one more year to reclaim the state championship.

“Last year is over. Done. For some of us, it’s our last year. We want it to be one thing we can remember for the rest of our lives,” said senior Keaton Jones. The Cougars return their top four runners from last year, seniors Keaton Jones and Collin Eubanks, and juniors Aaron thornburg and Sterling Spencer.

After a 6th place finish at state in 2008, the Northwest girls cross country team looks promising coming into the 2009 season, as the team is returning 4 varsity runners. Seniors Christine Nelson, Lisa Imgrund, and Meghan Kapeller, and sophomore Jessica Johnson look to lead the pack this Fall.

Both Cougar teams worked out and ran over the summer in order to prepare for the upcoming season.

“We hope our hard work and dedication pays off,” said Nelson. “Waking up every morning at 6 AM in the summer is sometimes hard to do, but I’m sure it will soon be well worth it.”

The Cougars start their road to redemption this Saturday at the Greg Wilson Classic. Starting time is 8 AM at Johnson County Community College.