Jazz ensemble hosts annual jazz cabaret night

The annual Jazz Cabaret hosted by the Jazz Ensemble featured the performances of jazz bands from SM East, Trailridge, Indian Woods as well as two NW alumni bands in the cafeteria on March 2.

The Jazz Cabaret has been running strong for 27 years, according to jazz band director Doug Talley. The first Jazz Cabaret was held in the spring of 1986.

“I have gone every time, except for the first one,” associate principal Tom Moss said. Moss was the director of bands at Northwest prior to becoming an administrator.

The 150-200 songs played during the evening by the six bands that participated included “Sing Sing Sing”, “Lu Lu’s Back In Town” and “Lush Life.”

“The Jazz Cabaret has evolved over time. It used to have a night club atmosphere where students, family and friends received a full Italian dinner,” Talley said. “Now that we are in a new generation I’m trying to make it more social.”

In addition to smooth jazz, food and a Mardi Gras atmosphere, the event also offered swing dance lessons in the mall.

“It was fun and I recommend it to anyone who wants to have a good time,” sophomore Michael Nyhart said.

The next Jazz Ensemble performance will be at 7 p.m. on April 20 for SM West’s Jazz on the Bridge.

Story by J-1 class.