Cougars win against Olathe Northwest

Northwest took to the field Sept. 16 to play the Olathe Northwest Ravens 2–0 after suffering two tough losses to SM East and SM West. The Cougars’ quarterback Colton Dirks returned after not playing against SM West due to a shoulder injury.

The Cougars started off slow again as they found themselves down 7–20 in the first half. However, they fought back, scoring quickly in the second half. Junior running back Davis Millard drove the ball down the field with a solid running attack to set up junior Jorn Winkelmolen. Winklemolen missed a field goal that could have won the game against SM West last week, but he redeemed himself by hitting the game winner with no time remaining on the clock against Olathe Northwest.

Northwest won their first game, but the bigger story was the injuries that were suffered during the game. Sophomore Devin Shockley and senior Duan Johnson both suffered concussions. Senior Austin Vanderpool separated his shoulder which will sideline him for between two and four weeks. The biggest injury was to senior Danny Manning, who made helmet to helmet contact with an Olathe Northwest defender during a NW drive with time expiring in regulation. Manning was on the ground with little movement for roughly 15 minutes. He was eventually taken to the hospital in an ambulance.

Despite the scare to Northwest fans, teammates and staff, Manning was released from the hospital that night. He has yet to practice but attended school on Monday.