Senior Night Spectacular for Boys Basketball

Cougars turn in one of their best performances of the season with a win over Leavenworth 59-42.

Throughout the last month, the boys basketball team had been struggling to a balanced game on both ends of the floor. Tonight, on Senior Night they did just that.

hannahrules“ It was a nice win for us and certainly at a time when we needed a win against a very good basketball team,” Coach Mike Rose said.

All three seniors started the game, starters Steve Carver, Nick Feighner, and key reserve Brady Smith who is still recovering from a broken nose from last Friday’s game.

Each team started out slow, unable to get any  rhythm on the offensive end of the floor. However, Northwest managed to open up a small lead in the first quarter by working the ball inside to Carver off the passes in traffic by junior AJ Spencer.

“ When he has the ball in his hand it seems like we play much better,” Carver said.

Spencer contniued to make the extra pass all night especially around the basket.

“  At times AJ passes when he should try to score, but that’s a good problem to have,” Rose said.

In the second quarter the Cougars began to extend their lead starting with a right handed slam by Carver 30 seconds into the quarter.

“ One thing we have to do a good job is get the ball up the floor in transition,” Rose said.

Northwest continued to overpower the Pioneers on both ends of the floor and end with a 12-3 run in the second half which included another dunk this time by  Spencer. By the end of half the Cougars had a commanding 33-17 lead.

Junior Trey Fruehling also had one of his best shooting quarters of the season knocking down 3 three pointers and leading both teams in scoring with 11 points going into half time.

Senior Nick Feighner contributed 8 points for the game including 2 of 3 from the three point range.

“ It makes a big difference when our open guys are stepping out and knocking down some shots,” Rose said,  “It kinda got them back on their heals.”

Junior Drew Goodger also had an excellent showing tonight dominating the defensive glass and drawing fouls inside.

“ He knocked down a couple baskets and that’s been kinda missing for him the last 4, 5, 6 games,” Rose said.

But the zone defense of the Cougars was the deciding factor of the half holding Leavenworth to only six points in the first half. This also included K-State Commit Nino Williams who was held to 14 points on the night.

“ There in the first half I thought we played really well. We played really well defensively, Rose said, “ We talked all week about our defense and we need to be better on the defensive end of the floor and our defense has generated our offense even more.”

In the second half Northwest stayed consitent, not allowing the Pioneers to get back in the game. With the combination of with persistent perimeter defense and getting easy baaskets near the rim the Cougars controlled the last 16 minutes of the game.

“ We weren’t really aggressive the second half and we were more patient offensively,” Rose said.

The boys basketball team now improves their record to 12-6 on the season and look to continue to improve their seeding for sub-state.

Northwest next game is against Olathe South on Tuesday February 23.

Shawnee Mission Northwest:

Steve Carver 23 points

Trey Fruehling 13 points

Drew Goodger 9 points

Nick Feighner 8 points

AJ Spencer 6 points