Bittersweet Beginning

The Shawnee Mission Northwest Student Council had elections for the 2024-25 school year. Elections for class representatives took place on April 23, and results were given by the end of the day. In order to run for a spot as a class representative, students joined the Google Classroom and submitted a speech. Each candidate read their speech in front of their grade, and then the rest of the student body voted on the twelve representatives for each class. Those twelve vote on positions such as class president and vice president.

“I think it went really smoothly,” current freshmen and future sophomore class representative Anna Gast said. “Everyone had really good speeches and I was really interested in what everyone was saying. There’s some really good points made in all the speeches, and I think everyone did a really good job.”

STUCO held their final two events of the year, the annual Senior Sunset and Spring Carnival & Rotary Bike Rodeo, and are now preparing for summer. Over the summer they’ll send students to different leadership summer camps all over the country and do bonding activities. 

“ will be a little different, but we’ll continue doing good next year,” current freshmen and future sophomore class representative John Leon said.

“It’s also exciting to know that we’re gonna have new faces and new people that are contributing to the group next year,” Dent said. “It’s a very bittersweet day, you know, exciting times getting to meet some of the new kids and then also just feeling that sadness of losing people that weren’t reelected.”