Taking a Chance

Next year, senior Francisco Juarez Nava will be attending either Rockhurst University on a track scholarship, or UMKC in the spring. He’s majoring in engineering. 

Juarez’s dad has a construction company, so he often found himself installing drywall and helping translate instead of hanging out with his friends. He’s super excited to try engineering, working on roads and different kinds of buildings. 

“I like the hands-on and being around the site,”  Juarez said. 

But as a child, Juarez wanted to be a gaming YouTuber. He wanted to play Fortnite like CoryxKenshin or SSundee. Although, while he still loves gaming, he sees it only as a hobby.

“I think it was just reality,” Juarez said. “I mean, sooner or later, we’re gonna have to give up on some things.” 

He ultimately wants to be wealthy and being a YouTuber was just too risky. 

“I mean, I just have to hope I land on the right side of the coin.” 

So instead, he’s decided to pursue engineering and track in the future, even if it’s stressful. He’s going to try his best to work through it. He started track his sophomore year and placed second in the 4×400 relay in the state of Kansas for 6A high schools.

Juarez says his parents want him to fully commit to engineering first, but that they also support his track dreams of going pro after college a lot more because he’s fast. And he’s got to stay fast in order to hold onto his scholarship every year it renews. 

“I’m gonna work,” Juarez said. “I love track. I can’t give up.”