One person announced dead after shooting at KC Super Bowl parade

One person has been killed and up to 15 are injured following a shooting at the Chiefs Super Bowl parade. The shooting occurred just west of Union Station as fans were leaving on Wednesday afternoon, according to videos circulated on social media by those at the event. 

The exact victim count is to be determined by law enforcement, however, Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves said in a press conference that two suspects have been taken into custody. 

Three victims are in critical condition and five are in serious condition, the Kansas City Fire Department told ABC News.

Some news outlets estimated 1 million people attended the rally in celebration of the Chiefs fourth Super Bowl win.

According to ABC News, once the rally ended the Chiefs went into Union Station and fans followed to receive autographs, once gunshots were heard people rapidly dispersed, and police officials rushed to the scene of the crime in front of the building.

“We’re in a hotel right now and I can’t leave,” Sophomore Haylee Bell said on the SMNW 2026 Snap Chat story. “There’s snipers on our roof and I think one of the shooters were in our hotel parking garage but they won’t tell us anything, they just said there’s ‘a situation’ at Westin Hotel.”

School was canceled today under the expectation that students and staff would be attending the Super Bowl parade.

According to a statement put out by the downtown Children’s Mercy, 12 patients are being treated from the rally. 11 are children. 9 have gunshot wounds. 

This is a developing story and will be updated.