Clubs Q&A

After a year in which club membership has been wiped out due to COVID-19, many clubs are actively looking for new participants. These clubs are hoping both returning and new students will find a family.

Grace Logan (she/her) and Morgan Tate (she/her)

How would you describe your club?

Psychology Club Amy Walker, Sponsor

“So, the Psych Club has been for students who are interested in psychology, who get together and they do different activities around psych ideas. So, sometimes they watch episodes of brain games, they do different activities. Sometimes they just talk about ideas that are relevant to psychology. Sometimes they just get together.”

Murals Club Kimberly Ruttan, Sponsor 

“ where students come together and design a mural that is either representative of the year or student culture. Sometimes they have themes, if a teacher wants something specific. We can design it for them, and then it gets pre-approved by Dr. Gruman. Once it gets approved, then students have time, usually after school,  or whenever it is possible to paint.”

Anime Club Elena Thompson, President

“Anime club is where everyone comes together and talks about anime episodes or series.  come together as a group of friends and have fun.”  

Thespian Troupe #888 Savannah Miner, President 

“We are Thespian Troupe #888, and we have a spot for everybody. No matter your interest, we have something that you probably like… What entails is actors being on stage and saying their lines. We have the techies that run backstage.  They do crazy stuff and make everything run with light, sound and run crew.”

What kind of activities does your club do?

Psychology Club Amy Walker, Sponsor

“They’ve done different things where they’ve watched clips of Brain Games, because the show is based on a lot of psychology. They have done activities where they play with taste and smell. What happens if you want to blindfold a person and then have them navigate through sound?”

Murals Club Kimberly Ruttan, Sponsor

“We brainstorm all the ideas , so everyone’s on the same page, and then different students would collaborate and come up with different ideas. Then we would kind of pull all those sketches together and vote on some final designs. And then after that, we start to really come up with colors and things like that.”

Anime Club Elena Thompson, President

“We would vote for the anime that we would watch , but right now, we’ll vote for the anime that everyone will watch at home. Then, we’ll come back and talk about it. We’ll also play games, do some drawing contests, costume contests and basically just talk about the series we watch.”

“We do lots of bonding events and fundraisers, just like any other club. We do park days sometimes where we all go hammocking. We just hang out, or we have cast parties.  After every show, we would all go to somebody’s house for a huge sleepover after we take down the set. That’s really fun.”

Why should people join your club?

Psychology Club Amy Walker, Sponsor

“It’s a place where you can make friends and talk about cool ideas. I think it’s a great place, especially if you are new to Northwest. Students that come through this club tend to be very nice. It’s an opportunity. Psychology isn’t taught unless you’re taking the class; these are topics you’re probably not talking about in any other classes.”

Murals Club Kimberly Ruttan, Sponsor

“Honestly, it’s fun. It’s a place where you can come up with fun ideas. You can feel comfortable in that environment with the people around you. You don’t have to stress, no one has to worry about their abilities and art or feel embarrassed they’re maybe only good at drawing one thing or doing one thing. There’s a spot for everybody that is creative and enjoys it.” 

Anime Club Elena Thompson, President

“People should join the anime club if they like anime in general or if they want to just have fun and make new friends. Everyone’s welcome and I’ll try my best to make sure everyone is involved and having a great time.” 

“I would recommend joining theater because we are such a tight-knit community and we are just a really strong family.  It has helped a lot of people find their support systems, find their home… I would say join the theatre because it’s a really good home, and you meet a lot of really cool people and find a lot of really fun experiences.  We have something for everybody.”