Freshman Student Council Representatives

Freshman Student Council representatives are announced

Ruth Demeke, Online Editor

Congratulations to the new freshman StuCo representatives for 2020-2021: 

Nikki (Nicole) Cohen, President

Derek Larsen, Vice President

Madison Cecil

Emelia Fothergill

Grace Heitz

Marina Johnson

Tad Lambert

Jase Luttrell

Taylour Standifer

Izak Zeller

Those elected to be in freshman class StuCo are there to represent their class of 450 students. Around 50% of the freshman class voted for these 10 representatives. 

“We’re hoping that they can stay plugged in to what the freshmen are needing and wanting and can help be a good representative,” said StuCo sponsor, Sarah Dent. 

Dent expresses her excitement towards meeting the selected freshmen students. 

“It’s always really fun to just meet the freshmen,” said Dent. “High school is so new so StuCo strives to make our organization a family and so after we elect the freshmen, it just feels like we have our family together.”

There are some obstacles being faced, however. One issue they will face this year is how freshmen will have trouble getting into the StuCo class hour. 

“I just don’t know the availability for kids to be able to switch their schedules to get into the class,” said Dent. “The fact that we might be going hybrid and how my classes are already big in size, I don’t know if they’d allow any additional people to join.”

With online learning, StuCo will have to think outside of the box this year to adjust. 

“Every event that we’re doing in StuCo so far looks different,” Dent said. “It’s not a bad thing, but it definitely is a challenging situation as we move forward.”