Best and Worst Movies of 2018 So Far

Jake Ditto, co-Editor-in-Chief

Best Movies of 2018

1.BlacKkKlansman

Spike Lee makes his best film since Malcolm X in a crazy story about an African American infiltrating KKK meetings with a Jewish partner. Lee creates another strong film about race relations in America, but does it with his most interesting script yet. Lee makes you laugh and feel outraged. This summer release should get a lot of attention later this year during award season.

2.Hereditary

Director Ari Aster has one of the greatest directorial debuts in film history with Hereditary, easily the best horror movie since 2014’s The Babadook. Aster relies on creepy imagery and dark themes to successfully build suspense rather than cheap jump scares. Toni Collette also gives the best performance by any actor or actress so far this year — and her career — surpassing her Oscar-nominated performance in The Sixth Sense.

3.Sorry to Bother You

This is the oddest film I have seen in a long time. Sorry to Bother You features another great directorial debut from Boots Riley. Not a lot of directors first films make a splash like this one and Hereditary. Riley juggles countless themes including anti-capitalism and pro-union, without feeling preachy. While this film didn’t get a ton of buzz this summer, I can see this oddball story developing a cult following like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Worst Movies of 2018

1.Fifty Shades Freed

The ridiculous number of tonal shifts made it feel like director James Foley didn’t know what he wanted to make, moving from a rom-com, to a drama, to an action movie. The same terrible acting, the same cringe-inducing, unrealistic screenplay and the same convoluted story prove that the Fifty Shades of Grey series is one of the worst in film history The only good that came out of this movie is that it marks the end of a truly atrocious trilogy.

2.Truth or Dare

The sad attempts at trying to build suspense and scare the audience lead to nothing memorable. Instead of making a horror movie with genuine scares, the film relies on predictable jump scares. The movie is also unintentionally funny, especially with the stupid grin the demon has when it possesses a person. The acting is also terrible and every character is written for horribly.

3.The 15:17 to Paris

This film shouldn’t have been as bad as it was considering it had Oscar-winning director Clint Eastwood at the helm. The entire second act is just two of the actors taking pictures across the world and the other becoming unlikeable as he went to join the military. It felt like Eastwood tried to add everything possible to make the film long enough for a feature. It was clear he focused on the last act, which is also the only redeeming quality of the film.

About the Writer
Jake Ditto, co-Editor-in-Chief

I am a senior and am the co-Editor-in-Chief on the NW Passage, and am a part of KUGR. This is my second year on staff and I enjoy watching movies. I joined staff to write movie reviews.