Keeping up with Fall Sports

Four girls’ teams and three boys’ teams battle for domination in their particular sport

Sarah Milks and Sonni Meyers

Cross Country: “So far the season is going great,” junior Kiara Stamati said. “Our team is working hard everyday and ready to race. Our biggest accomplishment is being able to communicate with one another in how we are mentally and physically feeling. ”

At the Heartland Classic, the boys’ team finished 14th and girls’ finished 20th out of 39 teams.

Girls’ Golf: “Our first tournament was really great,” senior Sidney Henkensiefken said. “We had one of the scores as a team in while.”

The girls placed sixth in their last tournament.

Boys’ Soccer: “This soccer season has started out very strong,” junior Cole Slack said. The team has won four games, lost one and tied won while earning a combined total of 17 goals.

Gymnastics: “It’s never what you expect
it to be,” sophomore Cierra Ladesich said. “The constant overturn of athletes keeps the competitions interesting because you never know how good your competition will be.”

In the girls’ first meet, they came out on top with a first place win.

Football: “We expect to win every game we play in, just like any team does,” sophomore Ty Black said. “If we win each day at practice, we will win in games.”

The Cougar football team is now 3-1 with a big win over the Olathe South Falcons in overtime September, 14.

Girls’ tennis: “I think senior Olivia Sloan (her doubles partner) and I started off a little slower than we would have liked this season,” senior Mabel Anstine said. “I can definitely feel the momentum picking up. Practices are going better and our matches have been very competitive. I’m excited to continue with the season and see how far we can we can go.”

The team is currently 2-1.

About the Writers
Sarah Milks, Staff Writer

Hi! I am a sophomore and this is my first year as a staff writer for the NW Passage. Outside of newspaper, I am a part of KUGR, Student Council, and play softball. Softball is my life. A normal day in my life consists of school followed by long hours spent at my softball facility then I squeeze in homework. I hope to play softball at the college level.

I love talking to people and getting to know the people around me. That’s why I love newspaper, I am able to get to know why athletes play the sport they do and what they are thinking while they are under the stress of the game.

Sonni Meyers, Co-copy editor

Hi, I have been on staff for two and a half years. This year is different for me because I am Co-copy editor with Catherine Taggart. I am in the class of 2020. I joined newspaper my freshman year  because I wanted to be a sports journalist. I love sharks, hockey and golf.