Boys’ Varsity Soccer Loses Season Opener

Cold, frustrated fans cheered on the boys’ varsity soccer team as they tried to attack the well-organized defensive line that is Washburn Rural. That was how the game went for most of the night.

The Cougars pushed their players forward from the beginning of the game to get as with many goal scoring opportunities as possible; however, Washburn’s defense proved impenetrable and the Junior Blues compensated with their own fast strikers.

In the 17th minute, sophomore Ross Boyd of Washburn Rural took a corner kick toward unmarked man, junior Joah Hickel, who headed the ball in to the lower left corner of the goal. Washburn was up 1-0.

Washburn Rural was given an indirect free kick in front of the goal line just before the half, opening the door for senior Austin Halsey to blast a shot through the wall of Cougars and into the back of the bottom right net. At the half, Washburn led, 2-0.

The Cougars worked to keep the pressure on. Midfielder Cole Nelson took a 26- yard shot on goal and scored in the 74th minute of the second half. When final whistle blew, the Cougars faced a 2-1 deficit and the first home loss of the season.

“We started off the game really well,” assistant coach Drew Perkins said. “For first 15 minutes we were flying around. They were chasing us and we had some opportunities to score goals. Then we gave up a silly goal off a corner kick and the other goal. It was a fluke, a one in a million goal that doesn’t happen all the time.”

The varsity boys will face SM East at 7 p.m. on Sept. 16th at SMAC.

Written By: Randy Castellon