X(-mas) Marks the Spot

The Plaza
Cost: Prices Vary

The 2012 KCP&L Plaza Lighting Ceremony kicked off the holiday season on Nov. 26. The lights will be shining brightly until Jan. 13. Enjoying the downtown scenery is a fun and cheap way to celebrate the winter season. For date night, many great restaurant options in the Plaza area have extended holiday hours; Bo Ling’s Chinese Restaurant serves Chinese cuisine and is open until 10 p.m. on Christmas. Buca di Beppo will satisfy your hunger on a winter night with an authentic Italian meal. Restaurants aren’t the only attraction on the Plaza: an abundance of places to shop, from Urban Outfitters and Forever 21 to Barnes & Noble and The Apple Store, will make it possible for you to purchase all of the gifts on your Christmas lists while appreciating the holiday atmosphere.

Crown Center is located in the heart of Kansas City at 2450 Grand Blvd.

“A Very Fifties Christmas”

The Johnson County Museum has decorated their building for the All Electric House “A Very Fifties Christmas” tour. Bring your friends and family to this thirty minute tour between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, or on Saturday 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Enjoy the aluminum tree and lots of other festive fifties style decor. This classic event takes you back to how Christmas would be in the fifties from Nov. 26 – Dec. 31.

Nov. 26-Dec. 31

Admission: Adults — $2, Children 12 and under — $1

Johnson County Museum of History, 6305 Lackman Rd., Shawnee, KS 66217 

Crown Center Ice Terrace
Cost: Admission: $6, Skate Rental: $3
The Crown Center Ice Terrace, Kansas City’s only public, outdoor ice skating rink is now open for its 40th season.Through January, the rink will be open Sunday through Thursday from 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. and from 10 a.m. – 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. This is the perfect place for fun with friends or for a romantic evening with your significant other.The ice rink is located at 2450 Grand Boulevard in  Kansas City, MO 64108
Christmas in the Park

Every year since 1988, Jackson County Parks and Recreation has hosted Christmas in the Park at the Longview Lake Campgrounds. Visiting this holiday lighting display won’t cost you anything, but the organization encourages donations which will be given to local charities. In past years, the proceeds from this winter wonderland have exceeded more than $500,000. This Christmas destination is jam packed with 175 displays and 300,000 lights, including a 20-foot animated teddy bear which entertains children of all ages and will be open to the public until Jan. 1.

Cost: Free (donations encouraged)

Location: 10711 West Scherer, KCMO 64134

Hours: Sunday-Thursday: 5:30-10pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:30-11pm

A Christmas Carol at the KC Repertory Theater
Cost: $25-$65 (ticket prices vary based on seat location)

Get your friends or family together and head out to the Kansas City Repertory Theater Nov. 16 through Dec. 26 for the 2012 production of A Christmas Carol. This holiday classic is the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, his experience with the ghosts of Christmas and how he discovers the true meaning of giving and helping others in the Christmas season. This lively presentation is complete with grand musical numbers, costumes, festive decor and a wonderful cast directed by Kyle Hatley.

The KC Repertory Theater is located at 4949 Cherry Street in Kansas City, MO 64110.