Students attend college readiness seminar

Students were invited to attend a college readiness meeting during seminar in the NW library on Oct. 25.

Two librarians from the University of Kansas — first year experience coordinator, Jill Becker, and faculty outreach and instructor Tami Albin — talked to students about what to expect in their first year of college. Both librarians work with thousands of students per semester, from both high schools and KU.

The librarians used KU as an example for most colleges, giving the students who attended the meeting a general view of where the seven libraries, along with the over 4.5 million books within the libraries, are located on the KU campus.

Along with the multitude of books, KU has 400 databases to look for information and sources to turn to when writing essays.

“After high school, you will find that looking for resources on Google just isn’t going to cut it anymore,” Becker said.

According to the librarians, most of the time, college students are required to do reading outside of the class, “about a book a week,” Albin said. In a slideshow presentation given at the seminar, a rough estimate of the amount of time students should study is about 30 hours a week; two hours per each credit hour, or time physically spent in the classroom, which is usually 12 to 15 hours a week.

A list of expectations was also presented to the students, which stressed responsibility, control, study skills, research and writing skills.

“This is not meant to terrify you, college is going to be a great experience,” Becker said. “You will grow and learn a lot.”