Horns Review

Horns Review

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars

Horror is one of my favorite genres and it’s rare for me to read a horror book that I don’t love. I’ve read many of them in my 17 years and most of them I would read again. That is not the case when it comes to author Joe Hill’s Horns.

Horns is about Ig, a man who is growing horns. In the first chapter you get introduced to a hungover Ig who thinks he’s going insane. But i’m sure any normal person would feel the same way if they look into the mirror after a night of puking to see horns growing out of their head. Pretty much right away the book grabbed my attention and interested me, but as I kept reading I slowly became more and more disappointed.

You would think that a New York Times bestselling author would be a better writer, but I guess not. Oh, and did I mention he’s also the son of notorious horror writing god, Stephen King? The man’s father is one of the best writers of all time, and I admire Hill for trying to follow in his father’s footsteps but at this point he may as well give up. Horns is Hill’s third book and if he hasn’t gotten the hang of it by now, he probably never will. But that’s just my opinion.

At first the 370 page book seemed interesting, though a little unrealistic. But as I read on it became apparent to me that not only is it unrealistic, but it seems like there’s no plot of the book at all. I only got half way through the book because it was so terrible, but from what I did read of the, Ig fairly quickly seemed to not care much about his horns, so I just kept reading on and on about his boring everyday life. Yawn.

Like I said, I only made it halfway through the book, but from what I did read of it, it sucked. I’m all for giving a book a fair chance but if it wasn’t getting good by the halfway point it probably isn’t going to get much better at the end. Though I thought the book sucked, I would definitely encourage others to read it because I’m sure there’s someone out there who would love to read every bit of Horns.