Muppets franchise back on track

I’ll admit it, when I heard Jason Segel wrote the screenplay for The Muppets, I was a little wary. The Muppets were a staple in quality family entertainment for decades. Could Segel, a mildly funny actor, do the franchise justice?

The answer is yes. Segel, instead of trying to imitate Jim Henson’s unique style, took the Muppets in an entirely new direction, and it worked.

The plot centers around brothers Gary (Jason Segel) and Walter (Peter Linz), and Gary’s long time girlfriend Mary (Amy Adams), who must bring the disbanded Muppets together again, before oil tycoon Tex Richman (Chris Cooper) tears down Muppets Studio to drill for crude oil.

Walter, a muppet himself, has always felt out of place, except for during the half hour when he watches The Muppet Show. When he overhears Richman saying the Muppets will lose their studio unless they raise $10 million, Walter makes it his mission to save his heroes.

We are reintroduced to all of the Muppets — from big names like Kermit, Fozzie, Miss Piggy, Animal and Gonzo, to the less memorable, but still lovable, creatures like Dr. Bunsen and Beaker, Rizzo, Rowlf and Pepe. No stone is left unturned, and no joke is left unsaid (however unfunny some may be) in this updated version.

Filled with cliché classic rock, unusual travel methods and mature allusions, more adults than children were laughing during this movie, which may have been too over their heads.

Honestly, this is a film created by and for long-time Muppets fans. Segel wanted to pay homage to his childhood favorites, and he did a wonderful job. If you love the Muppets already, this is definitely a movie must. And if you don’t like the Muppets, what kind of person are you?