Senior Demarcus Houston Remembered After Death

Photo courtesy of sophomore Eric Adams

Senior Demarcus Houston will be missed after passing away on Nov. 16.

Houston and two others were rushed to the hospital after being shot in Kansas City, MO, two miles from the Kauffman Stadium. Only one other victim was expected to survive.

Houston’s services were held on Saturday, Dec. 9, at Community Covenant Church, concluding a funeral, as well as a viewing from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m..

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of Demarcus,” principal Lisa Gruman said in an email. “We remember the kindness he shared throughout our community. Death is always difficult to handle, especially the loss of someone so young. Our senior class and community experienced another loss this summer, and this tragedy may prompt a wide array of emotions.”

Houston may have been quiet in the classroom, however, he cared deeply for his loved ones and held a special place in the hearts of those who knew him. His humor, his strength and his kindness will be fondly remembered.

Students may visit the main office from 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., no appointment is needed if they wish to talk to a social worker or counselor. If they need to talk to someone outside of those hours, Gruman encouraged them to use the 988 National Hotline for management of mental health, and crisis situations.