ETC: Create, Reuse, Repurpose

With tough economic times, there’s never been a more perfect opportunity to innovate the products we use. There are millions of ways to create your own products and reinvent old products to serve new purposes. Here are a few ways to store items, keep things handy and reduce clutter.

Hair tie key ring
All girls know that there’s nothing more frustrating than changing for gym class and realizing you forgot a hair tie. The easiest way to solve this problem is to carry your ties on a keyring. Clip the keyring to your backpack, and you’ll never be without a hair tie again.
Clean out your closet

A great idea for weeding out those clothes you haven’t worn in months is to turn all of the hangers in your closet around at the beginning of the month. All of the clothes on the hangers that are still turned that way after a month or two could be considered for donation. This will help get rid of the clutter in your closet and help someone in need.

Interested in donating your clothes? Visit the following sites to find out more about organizations that provide donated clothes to those in need.

Big Brothers, Big Sisters

Planet Aid

City Union Mission

Salvation Army Rehabilitation Center of Kansas City, Mo.

Salvation Army USA Central Territory

Goodwill

KC Donation Pickup

Tissues and Trash in one

Rubber band a tissue box and an empty box together. This way, you will never gross out your neighbor with the germ-filled used tissues littering your desk and the floor around you. It’s perfect for when you’re sick as well.
Emergency survival kit for your car

Using an old used plastic Shower Caddy (the ones that hang from a shower head) or purchasing one at the dollar store can help you keep your car organized, as well as prepare you for many different “disasters.” By placing much needed items (see sidebar) in each of the compartments and hanging it on the back of the headrest in your car, you can be prepared for anything on the road.

Items to put in your survival kit

• First Aid (bandages, pain relievers, Benadryl spray, etc.)
  • Sunblock and bug spray
  • Tissues
  • Antibacterial gel
  • Cellphone wall charger and car charger
  • Water bottles
  • Blankets
  • Change of clothes
  • Accessories (hair ties, sunglasses, hair brush)
  • Unperishable snacks
  • Umbrella
  • Jacket/mittens/scarf
Store your scarves

By putting shower rings on a hanger, your scarves can be organized and stored easily. These hooks can be taken from an old shower curtain, or can be bought for about $1 from Target. This organization style also makes your scarves easy to grab on the go.