Chris Brown’s F.A.M.E.

Chris Brown’s “comeback” album, F.A.M.E., explores a different side of Brown’s music that may surprise some. F.A.M.E. is predicted to top the Billboard 200, which the singer has never done in his career; his last album, 2009’s Graffiti, peaked at number seven on the billboard charts. Created while he was trying to repair his reputation after a falling out with pop star Rihanna in early 2009, F.A.M.E. gave the singer a chance to create a new sound, combining his familiar dance style with a more R&B feel.

Despite its hit singles “Yeah 3x,” “Deuces (featuring Tyga and Kevin McCall)” and “Look At Me Now (featuring Busta Rhymes and Lil Wayne),” the rest of F.A.M.E.‘s tracks are a random collection of songs that don’t really seem to connect with their varying styles. “Up 2 You” and “Next 2 You,” which features teen pop sensation Justin Bieber, take Brown’s typical style out of the picture. Although the songs contain lyrics that are more meaningful than most of Brown’s past hits, they fail to deliver the same chart-topping impact that Brown is known for. However, his familiar style returns in “Oh My Love” and “Bomb,” featuring fellow hip-hop artist Wiz Khalifa. Other collaborations include artists such as Ludacris, Game, Big Sean and Timbaland. Brown’s collaboration with DJ and producer, Benny Benassi, creates one of the more upbeat songs of the album, entitled “Beautiful People.” On the other hand, his collaboration with Big Sean and Timbaland on “Paper, Scissors, Rock” falls through the cracks and shows a weakness in Brown’s musical evolution on the album.

Overall, I think Brown’s “comeback” is still to arrive. As he matures through F.A.M.E. musically, he still has room to grow into his new style, as well as regaining his previous status as a respected musician.

Tessa Miller