Red Riding Hood

Red Riding Hood

Loosely based on the folk tale Little Red Riding Hood, the film counterpart, Red Riding Hood, wasn’t anything I expected.

Starring Amanda Seyfried and Shiloh Fernandez, the film takes place in the village Daggerhorn. The town is relatively unknown except for the horror stories of werewolf attacks. Following the lives of Valerie (Seyfried), Peter (Fernandez) and their families, the plot is full of twists and turns.

The 20 years of peace between the village and the werewolf is broken with the murder of Valerie’s sister, Lucy. The killing prompts the men of the town to hunt the wolf, and after what they think was a successful attempt, the village celebrates. As the festivities begin, a witch hunter, Father Soloman (Gary Oldman), shows up in the village to inform the townsfolk that they have not killed the werewolf, and that it still dwells among them.

Shortly after, Father Soloman delivers the news, the werewolf shows up and begins to terrorize the populace. Because the attack takes place during the week of the “blood moon,” anyone bitten by the wolf must be executed. As the week continues, the hunt for the werewolf grows more intense and turns the best of friends, and even families, against each other. Behind all the action, the subplot of the love story between Valerie and Peter adds another element to the film.

After seeing countless advertisements for the film, I went in expecting a dark, twisted Brothers Grimm take on the tale. What I got instead was more of a glamorized Twilight version, unsurprising considering this was director Catherine Hardwicke’s first film since directing Twilight in 2008.

Despite my disappointment, the mystery of the wolf’s identity keeps it somewhat interesting. In addition to the plot making the movie, the music also contributed greatly to the overall feel. The music complements most scenes, such as in the scene where the wolf returns to the village, when the music’s fast pace pumps your heart beat and heightens the suspense.

Red Riding Hoodis a far cry from the childhood tale that most have heard growing up. And although it contained its share of flaws, the mystery of the plot will keep you hooked until the very last scene.

Tessa Miller