Black Swan

Darren Aronofsky’s artfully composed movie, Black Swan is not for the faint of heart. The psychological thriller takes the audience through a journey that leaves you wondering what really happened, even when it’s all over.

Golden Globe winner (best actress, drama) Natalie Portman stars alongside Mila Kunis to tell the story of a struggling ballerina. Nina (Portman) is a perfectionist in her dancing. As her New York ballet company prepares to start a new season, and name a new star, Nina becomes obsessed. The company director has chosen to take the classic Swan Lake and put a psychological twist on it, combining the two roles of the innocent white swan and the sensual and manipulative black swan into one, to be portrayed by only one dancer. After the dancers are selected, Nina becomes fearful that the newcomer, Lily (Kunis), is out to take her role. Soon enough, the lines are blurred between reality and Nina’s delusions.

The film’s exploration of risque topics, such as psychosis and eating disorders, is executed beautifully, and Portman’s performance is chilling. As the film progresses, Nina’s transformation is remarkable and shocking. Any stereotype you had of a dance movie should be left at the door, and probably abandoned all together.

Tessa Miller