Disney’s Tangled

Ask me my top five favorite movies, and I guarantee that at least three of them will be some kind of fairytale, cookie cutter, cartoon animation.

So naturally, when I went to the newest Disney brainchild, Tangled, I expected it to be good. Great, even. The trailer has it all: a princess, some magic, an animal sidekick and a hero with smoldering eyes — the standard million dollar recipe for success.

The movie basically follows Rapunzel, the princess that brings a new definition to “big hair” with an even bigger tower. Rapunzel’s one dream is to see the “the floating lanterns,” a phenomenon that occurs every year on her birthday. Ironically, this festival is actually a sign from her parents to find their lost daughter, who was stolen 18 years ago by an evil old woman who hoped to harness the power of Rapunzel’s hair. Oh, and the Prince Charming who is supposed to rescue her? The guy who shows up at her doorstep, or rather, tower step, is actually a lying, thieving man (a.k.a. Flynn Rider) who is wanted by every authority in the kingdom. After she steals the crown he already stole from the royal parents, he promises to take her to the floating lantern festival the next night. Armed with her pet chameleon Pascal, her dreams and her multi-purpose frying pan, they set off for the kingdom. Promising, right?

Almost.

Tangled is almost great. Is it sad to say that some of the best acting was done by Rider’s trusty steed Maximus? Unfortunately, those moments were overwhelmed by the vast amount of cheesiness in the majority of the movie.
There were so many thug and ruffian song-and-dance numbers, wicked witches and clichéd soulful stares between Rapunzel and Rider that my slight dairy allergy was starting to act up.

Honestly, the 3D was not entirely necessary either. After a few artsy shots of magic glitter pouring out of the screen and lanterns floating over the audience, I concluded that it was pointless and the extra $2.75 I spent for the 3D glasses would have been better wasted on the outrageously priced Nerds in the concession stand.

OK, it was not that bad. I will admit, the animated actions almost brought me to tears at several points in the film, even though it would have been just as touching in 2D.

Although a classic love/adventure story will get me every time, Tangled does not appeal to me as much as previous movies like How to Train Your Dragon and Up did. Don’t get me wrong, it definitely appealed to the many elementary and preschool kids surrounding me in the theater, but I would not suggest seeing this movie if you can see over the height barrier at Powerplay.

Brianna Leyden