District proposes school closings and boundary changes

District+proposes+school+closings+and+boundary+changes+

School closings and boundary changes were presented to the Shawnee Mission Board of Education by superintendent Gene Johnson. Of the 11 proposed1 changes, four would affect NW area students.

Reacting to the current economic situation,  recent population changes and projected enrollment, the proposals were added to the already established Shawnee Mission Five-Year Plan this summer after being revised by Johnson.

“I understand this is very emotional. It’s an emotional time for families, especially when their school is considered for closing or their high school boundaries are changing in their attendance area,” Johnson said. “ While we recognize that people become extremely attached to their schools and feeder patterns, these are difficult decisions. It’s important that we strive to operate our district as efficiently as possible.”

The proposals include closing Antioch Middle School and Shawanoe Elementary School. The students from Antioch would be moved to Hocker Grove Middle School, which would then become a single feeder school for SM North. Shawanoe Elementary School students would be split between Rising Star Elementary School and Benninghoven Elementary.

The proposals also include reassigning groups of students within the NW attendance area. Ray Marsh students who live east of Pflumm would move to SM North. However, Quivira Highlands, The Sylvan, Forest Trace, Woodland Place and a portion of Lakeview Estates subdivisions would still attend Northwest. Mill Creek students living in the Prairie Lake apartment complex would be reassigned to Benninghoven Elementary School.

Other proposals include closing Mission Valley Middle School and Bonjour and Moody elementary schools. Ten of the changes will go into effect for the 2011-2012 school year; however, the proposal to close Moody Elementary School would go into effect for the 2012-2013 school year.

If put into effect, the school closings and boundary changes would save $3 million annually.

Community meetings will be held between September and October for patrons and other members of the community to give input on the proposals relating to them. Dr. Johnson will present his formal recommendation for approval at the Nov. 8 board meeting at SM North.

1Proposed for implementation in 2011-2012

PROPOSAL 1: Reassign Brookwood Elementary School, 3411 W. 103rd Street, from the SM East attendance area to the SM South attendance area.

PROPOSAL 2: Reassign a portion of the Ray Marsh Elementary School attendance area from the SM Northwest attendance area to the SM North attendance area. Ray Marsh is located at 5642 Rosehill Road.Proposals: An Overview

PROPOSAL 3: Reassign the Trailwood Elementary School attendance area bounded on the south by 95th Street, on the west by Nall Ave., on the north by 91st Street, and on the east by Mission Road from the SM East attendance area to the SM South attendance area. Trailwood is located at 5101 W. 95th Street.

PROPOSAL 4: Close Bonjour Elementary School, 9400 Pflumm Road, at the end of the 2010-2011 school year and reassign the students to Sunflower Elementary School, 8955 Loiret Blvd.
Proposals: An Overview

PROPOSAL 5: Reassign a portion of students attending Sunflower Elementary School, 8955 Loiret Blvd., who live west of I-435, north of 87th Street, east of the western-most Shawnee Mission boundary, and south of Blackfish Parkway to Christa McAuliffe Elementary School, 15600 W. 83rd Street.

PROPOSAL 6: Close Shawanoe Elementary School, 11230 W. 75th Street, at the end of the 2010-2011 school year. Reassign a portion of the Shawanoe students to Rising Star Elementary School, 8600 Candlelight, and a portion of the students to Mill Creek Elementary School, 13951 W. 79th Street.
Proposals: An Overview

PROPOSAL 7: Reassign students in the Prairie Lakes apartment complex, 6700 Lackman Road, from the Mill Creek Elementary School, 13951 W. 79th Street, to Benninghoven Elementary School, 6720 Caenen.

PROPOSAL 8: Close Antioch Middle School, 8200 W. 71 Street, at the end of the 2010-2011 school year and relocate the Antioch students to Hocker Grove Middle School, 10400 Johnson Drive.
Proposals: An Overview

PROPOSAL 9: Reassign the Roesland Elementary middle school attendance boundary in the SM North attendance area from Indian Hills in the SM East attendance area to Hocker Grove in the SM North attendance area. Roesland is located at 4900 Parish Drive.

PROPOSAL 10: Close Mission Valley Middle School, 8500 Mission Road, at the end of the 2010-2011 school year and relocate the students to Indian Hills Middle School, 6400 Mission Road.
Proposals: An Overview

Proposed for implementation in 2012-2013
PROPOSAL 11: Close Dorothy Moody Elementary School, 10101 England, at the end of the 2011-2012 school year and reassign the students to Brookridge Elementary School, 9920 Lowell.

Lauren Minick