No Answer

No Answer

March 19, 2024

Rats with Wings

Rats with Wings

March 19, 2024

Everything’s An Aesthetic

Everything’s An Aesthetic

March 19, 2024

Meet your Match

Meet your Match

March 19, 2024

Anything But This

Anything But This

March 19, 2024

Reaching for the Blue Star

Reaching for the Blue Star

March 19, 2024

Forks Down: Aoyama Ramen

Forks Down: Aoyama Ramen

March 18, 2024

Don’t cry over spilt applesauce

Don’t cry over spilt applesauce

March 18, 2024

Patchy Yet Perfect

Patchy Yet Perfect

March 18, 2024

Embrace

Embrace

March 18, 2024

Just a little boy

Caps and gowns. Tears and goodbyes. After this school year, I’m supposed to know what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. The truth is, I already know. I just pretend that I don’t so I won’t sound crazy. I’m about to graduate, and I still have my heart set on being a rock star.

Is that a little immature? Sure it is. But that’s probably one of the first words I would use to describe myself. My family and I often joke that I am a child trapped in the body of a teenager. But it’s not really OK. There are lots of things that are childish about my personality. I’m so easily distracted. I lose everything. I forget important dates. I’m afraid of the dark. I can’t go to the bathroom in the presence of other people. Yet, I like all of these things about myself.

I might be the most irresponsible teenager on the planet. My parents know this more than anyone. Just last week, I ignored the oil light on my car long enough for the engine to practically explode. Needless to say, I’ve taken up an interest in walking.

How am I ever going to make it in the real world? I can’t see myself sitting behind a desk and holding a normal job. I’d lose interest. I’d suffocate. I’d be fired in an instant. That brings me back to my original point: I want to be a rock star.

It’s not so much that I desire fame, because I don’t. I wouldn’t mind it, but what I really want is my words to be heard. I want to inspire people with my music the way that so many artists inspired me. I don’t care if I have to play on a street corner for the rest of my life; I’m going for it.

I want to play a show in front of a packed crowd where a young, insecure girl hears a lyric in one of my songs. I want her to hold onto that lyric and be inspired by it. I want her to go to school the next day with her head held high, not worried about the rumors that the other girls spread about her.

I want the teenage son of a soldier to hear something in my songs that tells him that his dad is safe and coming home. I want to work miracles with my words. I know that this is possible because I’ve been on the receiving end of this system for a long time now. It’s time for me to give back.

For me, musicians like Jesse Lacey and Conor Oberst were a major influence. Their perfectly crafted verses packed with clever and meaningful words got me through a lot of hard times. When I consider all of the emotional lows that music has walked me through, I feel blessed. Music has the power to work miracles. Music changed my life.

If I could perform miracles like these with my music, I would never stop writing. If I could give the same relief to people that music has granted me, I would be the happiest “little boy” in the world.