Review: Blink 182

The tightly packed crowd swayed back and forth, eyes glued to the dark, lifeless stage. Waiting. 96.5’s Buzz Beachball concert had been a day full of punk rock music and mosh pits as bands like Weezer and Taking Back Sunday took the stage. But it was time for the main event.

Blink 182, a pop-punk band from California consisting of Tom Delonge, Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker, shocked the world when they announced their reunion in February after a four-year hiatus. Vocalist Delonge left the band in 2005 in search of a more meaningful band.

He started a band called Angels & Airwaves, while the other two members continued to make music in the the band Plus 44. However, after Barker was nearly killed in a plane crash, the three were able to put aside their differences and pick up where they left off.

The crowd could hardly be contained. Young fans of the band pushed and pulled, trying to make their way to the empty stage. Blink 182 developed a huge teenage fan base with their whiney, rebellious pop-punk anthems and their outlandish sense of humor.

The stage lit up. The three members stormed the stage playing their hit song “Feeling This” from their self-titled CD. The band brought all of the energy that their fans had come to expect. In between songs, Delonge kept the crowd laughing with jokes about farts and male genitalia. One thing was for sure: Blink 182 was back and hadn’t changed a bit from their teen angst lyrics to their immature ‘toilet humor’.