Big River to open April 8th

The spring musical, Big River, will open on April 8 and run through April 10.

The musical, originally written by William Hauptman, is based on Mark Twain’s novel, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, written in 1884. The musical follows the story closely; Hauptman took direct quotes from the novel and put them into the script.

“I’ve wanted to do for a long time, so I’m pretty excited about it,” drama teacher Keli Rodgers said. “William Hauptman has a way of showing you something that makes you go, ‘Wait, that’s not right!’ He let’s the audience work. I think that’s brilliant.”

About 27 students are involved in the cast, including senior Teddy Trice as Jim, senior Andrew Shaw as Huck, sophomore Tanner Rose as Tom Sawyer and junior Claire Martin as Maryjane.

Although only these 27 students will appear on stage, nearly 40 will help produce the musical.

“I have a lot of boys this year who are full of talent, so that’s why we have had more male-oriented plays this year,” Rodgers said.

Next year, Rodgers will be looking for plays that offer more parts for women because the current junior class is filled with predominately female talent. Next year’s performance line-up will be announced at the year-end drama banquet.

Tickets go on sale the weekend after spring break. All tickets will be $7 and students’ tickets with an activity pass will be $3.

-Rachel Ferencz