Your winners are…

NW students have spoken. After hundreds of students were surveyed, here are your favorite movies in the 82nd Academy Awards.

Picture

1. Avatar: Receiving over $654 million in the United States, director James Cameron’s Avatar is now the highest grossing domestic film of all time, beating previous holder, another creation from Cameron, 1997’s Titanic. Avatar is nominated for 9 academy awards.
2. Inglorious Basterds

Directing

1. Avatar: It started out as an 80-page scriptment in 1995. James Cameron announced that he would be making Avatar after finishing Titanic. The production started in 2006 because Cameron wanted to wait until the technology to create his film had advanced enough. Avatar had an estimated budget of $300 million.
2. Inglorious Basterds

photo_07_hiresAnimated Film

1. Up: After winning Best Animated Film at the 67th Golden Globes and Choice Summer Movie Comedy at the Teen Choice awards, Up is expected to win the Best Animated Film for the Academy Awards.
2. Coraline

Leading Actor

1. George Clooney Up in the Air: Academy Award-winner George Clooney was nominated for Best Director and Best Original Screenplay for Good Night, and Good Luck, as well as Best Supporting Actor in Syriana in 2006, making him the first person in Oscar history to be nominated for directing one movie and acting in another in the same year. He won Best Supporting Actor in Syriana, and is currently nominated for Best Leading Actor for his performance in 2009’s Up in the Air.
2. Morgan Freeman – Invictus

Supporting Actor

1. Christoph Waltz Inglourious Basterds: Waltz portrays Col. Standartenführer Hans Landa,”The Jew Hunter,” in Quentin Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds. Waltz has already received Best Actor at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival, Best Supporting Actor role from the New York Film Critics Circle, and Best Supporting Actor at the 67th Golden Globe Awards for the role.
2. Matt Damon – Invictus

Leading Actress

1. Sandra Bullock The Blindside: Sandra Bullock won the award for Best Actress at the Golden Globes and the Screen Actors Guild Award for her performance in The Blind Side. She plays Leigh Anne Tuohy, an interior designer who lets Michael Oher into her home as she and her family try to lead him into the right direction, signing him up for the school football team as well as tutoring him to raise his grades.
2. Meryl Streep – Julie and Julia