No Answer

No Answer

March 19, 2024

Rats with Wings

Rats with Wings

March 19, 2024

Everything’s An Aesthetic

Everything’s An Aesthetic

March 19, 2024

Meet your Match

Meet your Match

March 19, 2024

Anything But This

Anything But This

March 19, 2024

Reaching for the Blue Star

Reaching for the Blue Star

March 19, 2024

Forks Down: Aoyama Ramen

Forks Down: Aoyama Ramen

March 18, 2024

Don’t cry over spilt applesauce

Don’t cry over spilt applesauce

March 18, 2024

Patchy Yet Perfect

Patchy Yet Perfect

March 18, 2024

Embrace

Embrace

March 18, 2024

SMSD expands to Facebook and Twitter

The Shawnee Mission School District has expanded its media usage to Facebook and Twitter to provide students with an easier way to follow district news. The Facebook page has a total of 864 fans, while there are 80 committed followers of the Twitter account. The district posts information for students and parents on both pages to alert more people of school activities. Much of the information posted, such as school closings and personal achievement awards, can also be found on the district’s own home page.

topbanner2010_2

“Twitter is a fast way to send information. I would probably be a follower of Twitter,” junior Katie Hansen said. Hansen also said that not very many students probably know about the account. According to her, only “a handful” of students know about it.

Freshman Anna Lindholm agreed.

“I don’t think that they really need a Facebook. Everything on it can be found out on the announcements, the district web site, or Twitter. I just don’t see how they need both,” she said.

“Initially, we have had a positive response, and our followers have continued to grow. We will continue to look for ways to enhance and expand our communication with our patrons,” district media director Leigh Anne Neal said. This is a chance for the district news to be accessed more easily.

“I check my Facebook page everyday for news,” parent of Junior Amy Miller, Anne Miller said. “It would be a good resource for me to have.”
The Facebook and Twitter accounts are just more ways to alert patrons of school information. Listed on the Facebook page are contact information and advertisements for district organizations. Most of the posts on the page refer to honorable mentions that students have received throughout the district. The page retains more information for and about students than the district’s web site.
-Claire Gordon