Thespian Troupe 888 nominated for four Blue Star Awards

On April 26, after opening night of their spring show “The Wedding Grift,” Thespian Troupe 888 unfurled a blue banner officially announcing their Blue Star nominations: Outstanding Costume Design, Outstanding Hair & Makeup Design, Outstanding Orchestra and Outstanding Performance in a Featured Role for senior Lily Reiff.

“I was ecstatic,” theatre director Shawnasea Holst said. “We did so well on a low budget. We really did above and beyond.”

The Blue Star Awards are modeled after Broadway’s Tony Awards and are hosted by Starlight Theater. They annually recognize high schools with outstanding musical theatres in the greater Kansas City area. This year, Northwest was one of them. 

The stage erupted with cheers as the musical cast and crew celebrated. 

But Reiff couldn’t wait until the end of the show to find out the Troupe’s nominations. Instead, she listened in on the Youtube livestream earlier that day where Blue Star announced the nominees.

“I was in the bathroom, I’m washing my hands, and I heard my name get called,” Reiff said. “I jumped everywhere, water is splashing everywhere, I’m like, ‘Oh my God, I did it!’ and there’s tears rolling down my face.”

Reiff was nominated for Outstanding Performance in a Featured Role, playing Grandma Addams in “The Addams Family.”

“I was really proud of myself,” Reiff said. “With all the work that I put in, I finally did it.”

“I’m so glad that someone besides me was able to recognize her amazingness,”  Holst said. 

The Troupe will find out at 7:30 p.m. on May 16 if they won any awards during a ceremony at Starlight Theater which is free for the public to attend. In a few short weeks, they could be bringing home four trophies. 

Holst thinks the Troupe will apply for Blue Star next year, as she says the $75 entry fee is well worth the valuable advice they receive from adjudicators and the chance to have students’ achievements recognized on a larger scale. 

“If we win awards, cool,” Holst said. “And if we don’t, at least we can grow from the feedback.”