Helping now and later

Elaine Gast, the co-founder of Interact Club and president of Thespian Troupe 888, is ready to graduate. 

At the moment, Gast doesn’t know exactly what she’s going to do, but she knows one thing. 

It’s going to help people. 

She is interested in doing a variety of things, including biological research, physiology or general medical work, like being a doctor.

A lot of people have influenced Gast to want to help others. Her mother, just like her, has helped her community. Donating food and items to those that need it has taught Gast the importance of helping others. Stepping away from parental influences, teachers like Kenneth Lee, the biotechnology instructor at the CAA, and Zulma Pérez-Estrella, biotechnology and health science instructor, have taught Gast what the world of science can do not just for her but for the world.

​​” taught me to never say I’m not too young to be like that or that I don’t have enough experience to go into a lab,” Gast said. “They’ve always taught me that if you can show somebody that you’re serious about something and you want to work hard, you can do and be whatever you want, even at a young age.”

“Looking back at my high school experience,” Gast said. “Obviously there’s good parts and bad parts and everything, but I’m really grateful for it.”