Wind chills bring negative temperatures to Shawnee

Dangerously cold wind chills with temperatures as low as negative-35 degrees swept across Kansas and much of the Midwest, canceling school at Northwest for five total days. In addition to wind conditions, heavy snowfall and risk of black ice made it difficult for students to attend school. According to the National Weather Service, wind chills were capable of causing frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 10 minutes. 

As a safety precaution, Shawnee Mission Northwest canceled school on January 9th, 10th, 12th, 16th and 22nd in hopes of keeping students safe. 

“As badly as I want our kids to go back to school, we just can’t do it safely,” SMSD superintendent Dr. Michelle Hubbard said on X, formerly known as Twitter, on the afternoon of January 15th.

Twice school was canceled in the morning of, and three times it was canceled in the evening before. 

All after-school activities were canceled three of the five snow days, forcing students, teachers and coaches to postpone and reschedule events such as the SMSD Journalism Showcase. Future Cougar Night and the Northwest K-12 Feeder Art Show were both rescheduled twice. 

The district has now used all four allotted snow days that are built into the schedule. If any more school cancellations occur, the end-of-school date will likely be pushed back.