The decade in retrospect: 2004

Jan. 4: Spirit rover lands on Mars, the first of the two Mars exploration rovers.

Jan. 11: The (13-3) Chiefs end their season with a 38-31 division playoff loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

Feb. 4: Social networking site thefacebook.com is launched by Mark Zuckerberg from his Harvard dorm room. The name will later change to Facebook.

Feb. 12: The first same-sex marriage licenses are issued in San Francisco.

March 11: Terrorists are blamed for train bombings in Madrid that killed 191 people.

March 14: Russian President Vladimir Putin is elected for a second term.

April: The city decided to redesign the NW circle drive due to the high accident rate. Renovations included Long St. widened to allow a three lane intersection and the sophomore parking lot turned into a right turn lane next to the new intersection.

May 1: The largest expansion to date of the European Union takes place, extending the E.U. by 10 member-states: Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, Malta and Cyprus.

May 6: Dr. Bill Harrington awarded Man of the Year award by the Overland Park Sertoma Club.

June 5: Former President Ronald Reagan dies at the age of 93 in his Los Angeles home.

May 6: The Series Finale of Friends is aired. More than 52.5 million viewers tuned in.

2. Survivor: Boreno (Season 1) (August 23, 2000) 51.7 million
3. Joe Millionare (Feb. 17, 2003) 40 million
4. ER (Feb.17 2000) 39.4 million
5. American Idol (Season 6) ( January 16, 2007) 38.1 million

Aug. 13: Games of the XXVIII Olympiad opens in Athens.

Sept. 25: CCC raised around a thousand dollars to give Jennifer Goff two llamas and a llama shed.

Nov. 4: George W. Bush is reelected president of the United States over Massachusetts Senator John Kerry.

Dec. 26: A magnitude 9.3 earthquake hits off the west coast of Sumatra, an Indonesian island, resulting in a tsunami killing approximately 230,000 people in Indonesia, Sri Lanka and other places along the Indian Ocean. The waves from the tsunami are up to 100 feet high. Approximately 1.7 million people are displaced from their homes, making the Boxing Day tsunami one of the largest natural disasters in recorded history.