SM School District Discusses COVID-19 Policy

On Monday Jan 3, at 5:00 p.m. the Board of Education meets to re-determine COVID-19 protocol

Ally Pruente, Co Editor In Chief

The SM Board of Education members will meet tonight at the Center for Academic Achievement (CAA) at 5 p.m. Their agenda consists of opening announcements followed by a full discussion of the current COVID-19 policy for the rest of the 2021-2022 school year. 

The current plan outlines optional masking during and after the school day. The plan also mentions that if the percentage of quarantined individuals reaches above 3% that mask requirements will be put back in place. 

The new plan being discussed at the meeting is the Test-to-Stay option for schools. This option would allow students who have been exposed to someone testing positive for COVID-19 to test for the virus in order to stay in school. Students would test consecutively for 7 days after exposure. During the 7 day testing period students are required to mask during school hours and at all school related activities during and after school hours. Students and staff who are taking part in Test-to-Stay must eat lunch a minimum of six feet away from others. In order to return, students and staff in the Test-to-Stay must receive a negative PCR test the day before they return to school. 

Those who have been exposed to a positive case of COVID-19 but are fully vaccinated and asymptomatic will not be required to Test-to-Stay or quarantine. 

More information to come after tonight’s board meeting and on our instagram @smnwdotcom.