Influential Senior: Alyssa Murray

2020 graduate Alyssa Murray was voted one of the ten most influential seniors in a poll of the class of 2020

Elizabeth Kuffour, Co-Editor-in-Chief

What does it mean to be influential?

To me, to be considered someone who is influential is something I don’t really have words for because it really is such an honor but such a surprise at the same time. Being influential to me really just means that you live your life true to yourself and always encourage others to do the same. It means that you always work to lift people up because everyone is honestly so amazing and influential in their own way. Everyone I’ve met in high school has been influential to me in some way.

How has Northwest changed you?

Northwest has helped me grow in so many ways. I’ve found so many new passions I never knew about and I’ve made friendships with so many people when I’ve least expected it. I’ve always felt supported in everything I do, which in turn has helped me find the person I hope to grow into and be in the future.

What will you miss most about Northwest?

This is such a tough question because I’m going to miss all of the people and organizations I’ve been a part of, but if I had to pick I would say soccer. It’s so hard to say goodbye to something you never really had the chance to even start. Our varsity team has been working hard since November to condition and prepare for this spring season and to not even have the opportunity to play a single game is really heartbreaking. But despite all that I’m so thankful for all of my teammates and Coach Boren, Coach Drew, Coach Lukes and Coach Love. I couldn’t have asked for a better four years in this program.

What is the biggest lesson you have learned?

The biggest lesson I’ve learned has definitely been to speak up for yourself. Don’t let anyone tell you your voice doesn’t matter. You and your voice will always matter, so if you have something to say, say it. Not only that, but speak up for others who maybe are still learning to speak up for themselves. By speaking up for yourself, you in turn show others that they can do it and deserve to be heard too.

If you could say one thing to the underclassmen, what would it be?

It’s completely okay to go your own way and take your own path. Sometimes it can be hard to try something new or do something different than all your friends, but at the end of the day the people who are truly your friends will always have your back no matter which direction you choose. Don’t be afraid to lose people who are supposed to be your friends because you want to grow as a person and try something new. I promise there are so many new people to meet that will always support you.