Tate Burns Q&A

Tate Burns shares life from his perspective

Rory Dungan, Copy Editor

What is your favorite memory?

“My grandma had this super long wooden door that she would put slanted up on a couch. She would get us little sheets of wax paper and we would slide down it in the living room.”

What is the best thing about high school?

“The teachers don’t treat you 100 percent like kids anymore. They kind of respect you as an adult, or at least someone who is able to make their own decisions.”

Who do you look up to the most?

“Robin Williams. His main thing was making other people happy. He found that by acting in movies and doing entertainment and comedy shows, and I like that about him.”

What is your biggest pet peeve?

“When people pretend that having unhealthy lifestyles is quirky. Like, ‘I just stayed up until 2:00 last night and cried all night and then got up and ate nothing for breakfast.’ I don’t like hearing that.”

Where is your favorite place?

“Savers. They have cheap clothes and really funny things you can find around. For me, it’s a place I can go with friends and just hang out and play games. We get to pick each other’s outfits. I have some good pictures on my phone.”

What do you see yourself doing in the future?

“Movie production or editing. I’m probably going to JCCC to figure out what I’m going to do.”

What is something difficult that you have been through?

“Middle school. It’s a lot of new people and not everyone is really nice. It taught me that you don’t have to be friends with everyone. If you can, that’s great, but stay close to the group of friends that you’ve been with, and you’ll make it through fine.” 

What are you involved in?

“Student Council and bowling. Student Council because it’s in line with my personality and what I enjoy doing. go out and do things for other people, or just go to big social outings and hang out with people.”

What would you do with $10,000?

“Give at least $3,000 of it to my mom. I’d probably buy a car with the rest of it.”

What is your favorite hobby?

“Playing video games. I also like going bowling with people. I go like every weekend. I made last year.” 

What is something that no one knows about you?

“My thumbs are weird. One is a hitchhiker’s and one isn’t.” 

What do you like the most about yourself?

I’m a very ‘roll-with-the-punches’ type of guy. Something can get in my way, but I’ll typically find my way around it.

Who is someone you can talk to about anything?

“My mom. She’s been there my whole life and she just knows who I am as a person. Even when I don’t know what decision to make, she knows which decision I would want to make eventually. I trust her a lot.”

What is your favorite thing to do with your family?

“Cook. On Fridays, we make a family meal plan where me and my brother will go out and buy groceries for whatever we want to cook. My mom will do the prep and we put on some music, and we’ll all cook the meal together.”

What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?

“My grandma’s stuffing is so good.”

What does your family do for Thanksgiving?

“We all go over to my grandma’s house. Football is always going, and we’ll do a thing in the backyard where all the kids are playing. Then everyone gets called in and we have a huge table that we sit around, and we cut the turkey and have the main course. After that, they’ll set out a dessert buffet, and we go in the line and grab whatever looks good.”

What are you looking forward to doing over Thanksgiving break?

“Me and my friends meet up and do a mock-up Thanksgiving. Our theme this year is “Charlie Brown,” so we’re all dressing up as the characters and replicating the Thanksgiving movie.”