Column: Welcome to High School

It’s not always easy, but it’s never impossible

Anika Paulette, staff writer

Let’s start with “Congratulations!”  

You’ve made it through middle school. 

If it makes you feel any better, we’ve all been here. Everyone, even those big tall seniors you’re going to see towering over you this year were once like you — the wide-eyed freshie with a much-too-heavy backpack filled with school supplies and anxiety. 

I was that at one point, too — well, that one point was last year. Don’t be afraid to talk to people and make new friends.

“High school might not be just like what you saw in the movies, but it can be full of life.”

— Anika Paulette

High school might not be just like what you saw in the movies, but it can be full of life experiences, good and not-so-good, that can help you grow and change as a person. I started my freshman year uncomfortable. I wasn’t sure where I fit in, but I think I came out a little bit smarter. You can, too. 

Expect your classes to be harder, but social life may be a bit healthier. Sure, you might still have some toxic people in your life but this school is big. Cut them out. Join activities where people share your interests. You can meet some friends there. 

On the first day of my freshman year, I remember my mom dropping me off at the back of the school and telling me to have a good day. Next thing I knew I was suddenly sitting in the middle of a crowded gymnasium, on cold plastic bleachers surrounded by classmates who were way too close. 

Don’t worry. It all goes up from there. You’ll eventually find your way around, learn your locker combination and remember the routes to your classes — all the basic stuff.. 

I would be lying if I said I never struggled with my classes. I know a lot of students breezed through, I just wasn’t one of them. My best advice is not to worry about your freshman classes too much. Or too little. Honestly, just do your homework. Take the electives that appeal to your passions and take required courses at levels you’re comfortable with. 

Get to know your teachers. Most of them are genuinely interested in your success. Ask questions. Let yourself be noticed. Stop by after school for help if you need it. And don’t be afraid to ask for the help you need. Sometimes your best assistance may come from a fellow student or from your counselor. Regardless, even if you ask a “dumb question” in English class, nobody will remember (or care) the next day and, frankly, half the people acting like it was a “dumb question” probably wanted to know, too.

Good luck, I’ll be seeing you around.