In Our Blood

Freshman-senior siblings share their experiences, frustrations and favorite disagreements

Emily Alexander and Alex Barfield

Senior Riley Brocker

What’s it like having your younger sibling in the same school as you?

“It’s really weird because we went to Catholic school, so I’ve been to school with him. He was in kindergarten through eighth grade with me. But I never saw him then and I never see him now. I think it’s different now because he used to be such a different kid. He wasn’t so outgoing and he was always the shy one. It’s just really nice to see him getting out there.”

What is the morning commute like?

“We don’t talk in the car and it’s usually because I have a TikTok playlist that I play. He hates it with a passion, and the reason why I play it is because he gets so angry. He sits there, and he’s just rolling his eyes. I try to talk to him and he says ‘I’m not awake yet.’ Then, I kick him out at a certain time every morning so that I can just have free time to myself.”

The most annoying thing about your sibling?

“He tries to be annoying to me on purpose. He comes into my room all the time, opens my door and leaves it open. I can’t stand it when people leave doors open. It’s honestly one of the worst things. I definitely wanted to kill him before because of that.” out at a certain time every morning so that I can just have free time to myself.”

Freshman August Brocker

What’s it like having your older sibling in the same school as you?

“She’s advised me on how to get my grades up, keep my grades up and how to organize stuff. I think, if I went into this school alone, I’d probably lose my mind. It’s been an unbelievable help to have somebody older and more experienced than me.”

Do you and your sibling get along?

“There are some things we don’t agree on, but I mean, it’s a lot better than we used to be. It used to just be constant fighting. She’s a lot of help when it comes to high school. She’s always got my back, No matter what.”

Will you miss your sibling when she graduates?

“Yeah. It’s weird, because her freshman and sophomore year, she was never home. It was kind of almost preparing me for her

leaving. I definitely feel like it’s going to be a different environment around the house.”

What are hallway interactions with your sibling like?

“If I see her, go up to her, see if she notices me, she usually doesn’t, so I’ll get up like uncomfortably close to her. just stare at until she notices If she doesn’t, which has happened a couple of times I just start to poke her.”

Senior William Crafton

“It’s interesting. He’s pretty much a polar opposite of me, so he does, basically, everything I wouldn’t do. But it’s interesting to see what he does and how he does it.”

What is the most annoying thing about your sibling?

“He’s just super outgoing and looks good doing everything. He used to always try to embarrass me in stores and things like that.”

What do you like most about your sibling?

“He does care about football, which is nice. So we can relate to that. Yeah. And that’s one thing I care about.”

Do you and your sibling get along?

“Yeah, we used to fight a lot, but he’s chilled out a lot. We’re pretty much cool now.”

Freshman Peter Crafton

Will you miss your sibling when he graduates?

“I don’t know, maybe. I might realize that I miss him after he leaves. I’ll probably make his room like a bro cave or something.”

What’s it like having your older sibling in the same school as you?

“I don’t really see him that often. I’ve asked him a few questions about football and stuff and then maybe a few questions about like a class. That’s pretty much all.”

“He gets mad about the things that I do to my sister sometimes when it’s not that big of a deal. I killed a bug one time and my sister started crying and he got mad.”

“I usually just ignore him. I act like he’s not there.”