Blockers Movie Review

Jake Ditto, Staff Writer

Blockers is the most surprising movie I have ever seen. It is about three parents who try to stop their daughters from losing their virginity on prom night.

This is Kay Cannon’s directorial debut, and shows great potential for a future in directing comedy. She is best known for writing the scripts for the Pitch Perfect trilogy. In this movie, she shows her skill for comedic timing and is great with directing her actors to give perfect line delivery.

For the most part, the actors are very funny in this movie. John Cena is an actor that I haven’t thought has been that funny, or really even a good actor in general, but in this movie, he is hilarious. Everything about him is funny, from his wardrobe of a suburban dad to the little things he does like trying not to cry when he sees his daughter in a prom dress.

Ike Barinholtz has been a comedian on the rise since his role in Neighbors back in 2014 and shows once again that he is a great supporting actor in comedies. I am very excited to see what he is able to do in the future as a lead actor.

Another stand out is the newcomer Geraldine Viswanathan. She plays John Cena’s daughters, and was far better than the other actors that portrayed the daughters. She was the only one of the young actors that I thought was actually funny, and the scenes when she is with her prom date, played by Miles Robbins, were some of the funniest and most entertaining scenes in the movie.

One complaint I have with a lot of comedies is that they aren’t consistently funny, but that is not true with this movie. From beginning to end, the movie is funny, and there isn’t a section of the movie that feels like it starts to drag on. That being said, the trailer unfortunately spoiled the two funniest scenes of the movie.

My biggest complaint about this movie is its ending. All six of the lead characters’ arcs come too easily. I felt like there should’ve been more to all of the characters before the movie’s conclusion. I also felt like the end felt too much like a Hallmark feel-good movie. It was a cheesy and predictable ending, that didn’t compare to what was good about everything I had previously seen.

There is also very noticeable CGI used in multiple scenes taking place in a limo. There is one scene when there are two characters vaping in the limo and the smoke was clearly CGI. Later on, everyone in the limo starts puking, and there is a ridiculous amount of CGI puke used. Instead of laughing during these scenes, I was frustrated with how fake it all looked.

Blockers is a consistently funny film that shows great promise for director Kay Cannon, John Cena, Ike Barinholtz and Geraldine Viswanathan.

Grade: B

About the Writer
Jake Ditto, co-Editor-in-Chief

I am a senior and am the co-Editor-in-Chief on the NW Passage, and am a part of KUGR. This is my second year on staff and I enjoy watching movies. I joined staff to write movie reviews.