This year’s prom will be held at a new location

Photo by Nate Thompson

The 2016 Prom will not be held at the Shawnee Civic Center for the first time in recent memory.

On April 23, students will dance the night away at the new Lenexa Convention Center. Although the Hyatt Place and the attached convention center were under construction, but co-president of prom committee Estaphany Vasquez has been able to plan around it.

“They were more than thrilled to have us as their first event in their convention center,” Vasquez said. “We also had the opportunity to go see it under construction so we had an idea on how we would decorate it.”

For prom committee co-president, Quinn Bonge, this year’s planning has been a bit more challenging.

“Finding the new venue and a new DJ causes some stress but everyone has been handling it really well and calmly,” Bonge said. “Especially our sponsor Schaufler, she’s been wonderful this year.”

The months of planning have finally paid off.

Rules:

1.  All students must remain in the Conference Center.  NO student(s) are allowed in the Hyatt Hotel. If a student(s) is in the hotel area they will be charged with trespassing.
2.  Once entering the facility students are to remain inside the Conference Center.  If they chose to leave they will not be allowed to re-enter.
3. Should an issue arise, a hotel representative or security may eject the student(s) from the venue by contacting the parents and/or escortting off the premises. This includes: disruptive behavior or abusive language.