"Food Not Lawns"

“Food Not Lawns”

fnlsprout100The idea of the organization “Food Not Lawns” is to get people to turn their backyards into gardens full of nutritious, organically grown food. The organization and its supporters believe that doing this will benefit health and the economy. This was brought upon the people for two reasons. One, being a finanical issue. Yes, getting your garden to start will cost you, but in the long run, you can be eating food from your very own backyard! and that will reduce the number of trips to the grocery store saving you money. Another reason, people who chose this lifestyle and eat and grow their own food will generally be healthier. In Kansas City, plums, tomatoes, okra, strawberries, apples, cucumbers, berries and broccoli can all be grown during the spring, summer and part of autumn months. The six easiest vegetables to grow are tomatoes, beans, carrots, squash, cucumbers and peppers.

One thing you must make sure of is to not treat your food to pesticides. Pesticides is a chemical one sprays on his plants to keep the bugs away. But think- if this chemical kills bugs, what is it doing to the plant? If the chemicals remain on the plants and one does not wash their produce carefully, you ingest these chemicals, aka- poisons. Instead of putting chemicals on your garden, buy Kansas ladybugs, praying mantis, spiders and honey bees. These insects will take care of the unwanted pests and put your garden in better conditions.

Now, you may be asking questions regarding the time required to support a garden or the weather conditions. This project is a timely manner, and such a thing isn’t for everyone. I speak for those who can find the time, if one can dedicate their saturday afternoon to tending the garden then it will be well worth your time. What about the weather, especially this time of year when plants are dying? Most vegetables you will have to replant. But, there are seasonal veggies. For example, squashes grow in the fall (pumpkins, guards, golden ball and garlic for early fall). Any way you produce food in your yard, you are helping yourself and the economy in a small part.

Visit http://www.foodnotlawns.net/ to learn more and get your garden started!