Out and about in Kansas City

The surrounding Kansas City area is filled with holiday activities, you just have to know where to look

+ BY GRACE GORENFLO

For some people, finding ways to fill a whole 18 days off from school can be a struggle. What you probably don’t realize is that the surrounding Kansas City area transforms into our own little winter wonderland around the holidays.

If you’re wondering where you should spend your time this winter break, try Union Station or Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. Union Station takes up a whole room with their model train displays. The Kauffman Center always has amazing performances going on, some for free. And through December 24th they’re putting on a production of the Nutcracker; a Christmas classic.

November 28th, Crown Center set up one of the nation’s tallest trees, the 100-foot traditional Mayor’s Christmas Tree. This tree is a symbol of the Mayor’s Christmas Tree Fund, which is dedicated to assisting the city’s less fortunate. After the holidays, the wood from the tree is used to make commemorative ornaments, sold for the Fund.

The tree is not the only reason to visit Crown Center. The Ice Terrace is a public, outdoor rink and opens seasonally from November 1st to March 15th. This is the 42nd year of it’s opening, and is one of the biggest attractions around Christmas time. Regular admission is $6 and Skate rentals are $3 or you can bring your own.The duration you can be there is 1-2 hours. On holiday hours the ice terrace will be open from 10 a.m to 6 p.m. Christmas Day they will be closed and New Year’s Eve they will be open 10 a.m to 6 p.m.

“It is the perfect romantic date or place to take kids and friends. There is nothing that epitomizes winter more than Crown Center Ice Skating!” said a visitor at the Ice Terrace.

Crown Center is a great place to go for a day on the town. Coterie Theater performs live plays.

Another great way to spend time is getting lost in the great works housed at the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art. And if you want some great burgers and a laidback atmosphere, Grinders in the Crossroads District is never a let down.  Other restaurants include Fritz’s, Milano Italian Dining and the American Restaurant.

These destinations along with others like the National WWI Museum, Crown Center, the American Jazz Museum, The Plaza, and City Market are just a few of Kansas City’s treasures. None are more than a 10 minute drive from each other, and they could keep you entertained for hours. Make your winter break one to remember, and check all the things our great city has to offer!