College Bowl Previews

College+Bowl+Previews+

This Collage Bowl season will be one of the best in history. It will also make history because it will be the first collage football playoff. The playoff also started controversy with TCU and Baylor being left out of the Playoff for Ohio State. There could be upsets, or demolishing wins. Could Boise State pull another Statue of Liberty play to stun Arizona, will Alabama and Oregon run the playoffs, or will Baylor and TCU show why they should have been in the Playoff.There are six great bowls to watch on December 31 and January 1. We have the preview for the six best bowl games including the two semifinals games for own picks. This is Bowl Game Central.The Baylor Bears will be on a mission after being snubbed in the first College Playoff as they face the powerful Michigan State Spartans. Baylor believed only having one loss at West Virginia that they should be in the Playoff but, Baylor now faces a tough Michigan State who only loses are from two teams in the playoff, Oregon and Ohio State. Bryce Petty leads his air raid offense into Dallas to face a very defensive minded Michigan State Team. Lets not forget that Baylor’s defense is one of the most undisciplined teams in the country averaging 77 yards per game. Michigan State’s offense led by Junior Quarterback Connor Cook who is having a career season. Connor has thrown 22 touchdown passes while only throwing six interceptions. One of his favorite wide receiver targets Senior Tony Lippett an all big ten player will be hard to stop for the Baylor Secondary. Also protecting Cook is All Big Ten Offensive Lineman Jack Allen.If the Michigan State can capitalize on the Baylor penalties they should be able to score 20-30 points easily. Also Mark Dantonio is one of the best coaches in the country and he create a great gameplan. The Michigan State defense is lead by three all Big Ten players. Defensive Line Shilique Calhoun who has 11 tackles for loss, which includes 6.5 sacks. He also recovered a fumble which he returned for a touchdown and blocked a kick this season. The next Big Ten player is Senior Defensive Backs Kurtis Drummond, who snagged four interceptions while breaking up 11 more passes,along with three tackles for loss. The final defensive player is Junior Trae Waynes, three interceptions 43 tackles, two tackles for loss, a sack and seven passes broken up is what Waynes has accomplished. These will be the stars to watch for to try to stop Bryce Petty air raid offensive. Bryce Petty has a air raid offensive but rarely gets picked off in games. He has 234 completions for only six interceptions this season. He and his fellow all Big Twelve offensive teammates offensive lineman Junior Spencer Drango and Sophomore Running back Shock Linwood who was second in yards and touchdowns in the league. Linwood make a perfect addition to Petty high flying offensive. The Baylor defensive not disciplined but does has some talent on the field. Led by All Big Twelve Junior Shawn Oakman who racked up three fumble recoveries and was first in the league with 18.5 tackles for loss and third in sacks with 10. This game is very interesting on both sides of the ball. While everyone watches the Baylor Offensive vs the Michigan State Defense, don’t be surprised to see a great game by Connor Cook or a couple of big plays from the Baylor defense. Also Baylor is only a couple of hours from Dallas, so Baylor will have the home field Advantage. Maybe Baylor we feel they deserved a higher bowl and come out flat or they might come out extra motivated to show the committee that they deserved to be in the playoff.This game will be the best of the Committee selected bowls and the matchup to watch is the Baylor Defense vs the Michigan State Offensive but also can the Michigan State Secondary stop Bryce Petty air raid.

Dee’s Corner

Our insider KSHB sports reporter Dee Jackson ways in on the games and gives his pick. In Dallas, the Cotton Bowl will see Michigan State and Baylor. Bryce Petty’s comeback following a mild concussion against Texas Tech showed just how tough he is, beating K-State 38-27 accounting for 412 yards. The Spartans will count on Tony Lippett, the Big 10’s leading receiver to make an impact. He has 12 touchdowns, but he also lines up at cornerback! Still, I like the heart and grit of these Baylor Bears.

Predictions 

Matthew:

Brice Petty in his final college game will light up the scoreboard. While Michigan State offense will do well, they won’t have enough in the end. But the poorly disciplined Bears will keep Michigan State in the game. Baylor wins 42-35.

Corey:

For this game I have to go with Michigan State beating Baylor 42-27 due to the running back having over 1,300 yards. Michigan State will run all over Baylor.[polldaddy poll=8534252]

Peach Bowl Preview 

TCU is coming into the bowl game being snubbed in the first College Football Playoff, now their facing a Ole Miss team who might have just had one of their best season in school history. TCU’s only loss was by three points at Baylor. Ole Miss had a great season, beating their rivals Alabama and Mississippi State, and achieving its highest ranking since 1954, which was 4th in the AP Poll. After starting 7-0 the Rebels finished the season 2-3 with close losses to LSU and Auburn and a 30-0 nothing loss to unranked Arkansas. TCU beat the 15 ranked Kansas State Wildcats by 21, Oklahoma in Norman and West Virginia in Morgan Town. Ole Miss quarterback senior Bo Wallace will lead the offense. One of his favorite targets is a Sophomore all SEC Team tight end Evan Engram. Engram at 6’s 227 pounds with sneaky speed ,Engram presents match up problem for linebackers and safeties who line up against him. When Laquon Treadwell got hurt, he stepped up. He also had three 100-yard games this season, all of which against SEC opponents. Ole Miss does not have a high scoring offense but they get enough done with their great defense. Their defense is led by two all SEC corner backs senior CB Senquez Golson and S Cody Prewitt. Golson led the conference with nine interception, one of which was returned for a touchdown. Prewitt a hard hitter finished with 41 tackles and two picks, one of which was returned for a touchdown. This secondary will be tested by Trevone Boykin and his air raid offense. TCU is led by Junior Quarterback Trevonne Boykin who is one of the most versatile quarterbacks in the league the can throw, run and even catch a touchdown.. He can pick up the first down with his arm or legs. Also he can go for trick play that can confuse even the best defense. His weapons are Junior Wide receiver Josh Doctson and Junior Running back Aaron Green. This is a high flying offense that likes to put up tons of points. The TCU defense is led by all Big Twelve Senior Paul Dawson who is perfect example of consistency for the Horned Frogs. He also led the Big 12 in tackles with 128 and also had four interception and a Big 12 best 18.5 tackles for loss. This defense will have to do there best to try to limit Bo Wallace and the Ole Miss offensive. This game will be won with one of the highest coring offense against the lowest allowing defense. This will be good game to watch, but don’t be surprised to see a big game from Bo Wallace as this will be his last game in a Ole Miss uniform. I think that Trevone Boykin will have a big game throwing and running the ball as a duel threat quarterback. If Ole Miss can win there going to have to create turnovers early and keep Boykin contained.

Dees’s Corner

Our insider KSHB sports reporter Dee Jackson ways in on the games and gives his picks . In Atlanta there are Rebels and Horned Frogs for the Peach Bowl. TCU took the intensity all the way to the edge. Almost cracking the first ever collage football playoff with an 11-1 record. Ole Miss is 9-3, but they knocked off instate rivals Mississippi State and Alabama. It may be a long shot, but Ole Miss have nothing to lose and will shock the world.

Predictions 

Matthew

I think Boykin will have a good game, and being snubbed in the playoff will make them more motivated. Ole Miss had a great year by their defense can’t stop TCU offense. TCU wins 42-28

Cory

I will have to pick Ole Miss in this one. This is their year, they haven’t been the beast in the past but i;m going with my gut. Ole Miss will win 42- 38[polldaddy poll=8534901]

Fiesta Bowl Preview 

In the Fiesta Bowl the Boise State Broncos and the Arizona Wildcats will face off. Boise State has Grant Hedrick who is their powerful quarterback. With Hedrick completing 70.9% of his passes and 8.89% average yards per play. Boise State had a lot of weapons they could use in this game against the Wildcats. Their running back Jay Ajayi with 1,689 rushing yards and 25 touchdowns. Boise State’s defense is struggling with in 65th ranking for points against and hopefully Arizona’s running back Nick Wilson. Nick Wilson has ran for 1,289 yards in rushing and with only 15 touchdowns, but with Boise State’s defense. Nick should have a good game thats if they give Nick the ball. Arizona’s quarterback Anu Solomon he has completed 58.0 % of his passes and has threw for 3,458 yards and 27 touchdowns. Arizona’s defense is 73rd in points against. Not the best either but his will be a offensive game.

By Cory Purdom

Dee’s  Corner

Our insider KSHB sports reporter Dee Jackson ways in on the games and gives his pick. For the Fiesta Bowl two teams with high expectations. Getting to the PAC-12 title game is no easy task, but Arizona found itself over matched by Oregon. Scooby Wright will be playing on Sunday’s someday. The linebacker has had helped keep this team in the National Spotlight. No “smurf turf” in Glendale, but Boise State brings an 11-2 record including an 8 game win streak landing them in the Mountain West Championship.I don’t know why, but Boise always seems like they have one more trick play up their sleeve to pull out the win!

Picks:

Matthew Owens:

Boise State, I like their team and I think that they will beat the a team from a major conference. Also Arizona just got steamrolled by Oregon. Everybody remembers the Boise State “Statue of LIberty” play to beat Oklahoma on a 2 point conversion in overtime a couple of years ago. It may come down to that again.I think they win by a last second field goal. This will be a game of offense teams. Boise State wins 38-35

Corey Purdom:

Arizona wins 37-35[polldaddy poll=8536092]

Orange Bowl Preview 

By Cory Purdom

Georgia Tech (10-3) will be facing Mississippi State (10-2) in the Orange Bowl. Mississippi State has a very strong run game. With Josh Robinson running for 1,128 yards in only 177 carries but only having 11 touchdowns. Even though Mississippi State lost to Ole Miss 31-17 it shows that Mississippi State will have stuff to work on before entering in the Orange Bowl against Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech’s quarterback Justin Thomas has made 50.9% of his passes which shows that Georgia Tech has a strong passing game. As well as their quarterback having more rushing yards than their own runningback shows that it’s a scrambling QB offense. Georgia Tech played Florida State in the ACC championship game suffering a loss 37-35. Even tho it was such a close game with Georgia Tech being 3rd in the nation in rushing yards they could not rush their way for the win. Defense wise both teams are very powerful and a rushing defense so it will be a defensive game.

Dee’s Corner

Our inside KSHB sports reporter Dee Jackson ways in on the games and gives his pick. In the Orange Bowl, Mississippi State gets another chance to show their talents to a national audience. At one point the College Football World was in love with the Bulldogs, but they were exposed by Alabama and Ole Miss. I covered Georgia Tech quarterback Justin Thomas in high school. He was the real deal then, and has only gotten even more dangerous and explosive leading the Yellow Jackets this year. The SEC is the more dominate conference with the tougher schedule, I have to go with GT on this one.

Picks:

Corey Purdom: Georgia Tech will beat Mississippi State 34-21.

Matthew Owens:  Georgia Tech hung with Florida State for most of the game. I love Mississippi State’s team this year, their players stories are incredible but the Georgia Tech triple option offense will confuse any defense. If Mississippi State can stop it, then they will win. I think they do stop it but it will be in the third or fourth quarter. Dak Prescot will make the right throws at the right times and help lead his team to victory. Mississippi State wins 24-21[polldaddy poll=8536064]

Rose Bowl Semifinal Game 1

This match up puts the Oregon Ducks (12-1) vs the Florida State Seminoles (13-0). The Ducks dominated their last game against Arizona winning 51-13 and winning the Pac 12 Title. This is while the Seminoles squeaked another win against Georgia Tech and there outstanding triple option offense. The Seminoles barely won the game 37-35 after a back and forth game. The Ducks have dominated most games with only two games being decided by one score, one being the loss to Arizona earlier in the year. The Ducks have beaten the 8th ranked team, Michigan State, number 15 UCLA, number 23 Utah and lately the number 7 team, Arizona. While only losing to Arizona earlier in the year by 7. Florida State has lived by the tips of the fingernails all year long. There wins have been close against teams they shouldn’t have been. The Noles have played seven games decided by one score or less, including one in overtime. The Seminoles have beaten 3 now ranked teams,Clemson, Louisville, and Georgia Tech. All were close games. The Seminoles have also had really close games to 7-5 Notre Dame, 6-6 Miami, 7-5 Boston College, and 6-5 Florida. This matchup puts the likely pick for the Heisman, Marcus Mariota, vs the last year winner Jameis Winston. Both teams are capable of putting up a lot of points on the board, The keys are if the Florida State defense can stop Marcus Mariota and there powerful spread offense. Mariota this season has thrown 38 touchdowns while being picked off just two times. Western Kentucky quarterback Brandon Doughty is the only QB who has thrown more touchdown passes, with 44. But he also has eight more interceptions than Mariota. There’s no quarterback more efficient in college football right now and the Seminoles will have their hands fulls. Also can Jamais Winston can step up for all the games. Will he be able to overcome his off the field issues and just play football. The Seminoles can not get down early and hope to make a fourth quarter comeback. They need to come out strong and put up a strong first quarter if they have a shot to win. This could be the last year for Oregon to make a title run with most likely Marcus Mariota is going to the NFL. They have the flashy style offense and the tough defense to back it up. Florida State though is unbeaten and seem to win all 50-50 moments. It has never happened in Florida State history that they have won back to back titles and undefeated season. They can accomplish both this year. This game will either be an Oregon blow out or a close nailbitter game.

Dee’s Corner

Our insider KSHB sports reporter Dee Jackson ways in on the games and gives his pick History will be be made this season following the first ever college football playoff. Oregon takes on the defending National Champion Florida State Seminoles. QB Marcus Mariota is having Heisman type season. 38 touchdowns and just two interceptions. Oregon lost to Arizona back in October but made the adjustments to beat them in the rematch. FSU is the only undefeated team remaining. They will return to the Rose Bowl where they beat Auburn last season. Jameis Winston off the field antics could have derailed this program, but Jimbo Fisher has picked up the pieces and his team will get an opportunity to defend their title.

Picks

Matthew: Oregon and the most likely Heisman winner Marcus Mariota will be too much for Florida State. I don’t think that Winston will have a great game, and Florida State’s streak ends. Florida State will get down early, but this time they won’t be able to pull it out. Oregon wins 42-21

Corey: Florida State is my pick. Thier quarterback Winston has over 3,500 passing yards. With that and Oregon defense being average. Florida State will being passing and running all over Oregon. Florida State wins 49-35.[polldaddy poll=8528471]

Sugar Bowl Semifinal Game 2  

By Cory Purdom

With Alabama being ranked number one in the nation and Ohio State being ranked number four in the nation and having the fifth offense in the nation. Ohio State will be coming out hard with their running back Ezekiel Elliott having 1,402 rushing yards and having 217 carries and averaging about 6.5 yards a carry. But Alabama has a defense to stop Ezekiel Elliott with the defense being 11th in the nation. Only allowing 4.68 yards a play. Alabamas quarterback Blake Sims having 3,250 passing yards and completing 64.8% of his passes and only 7 interceptions and threw 26 touchdowns  shows that Alabama will have the strong passing game in the sugar bowl. Defensive wise Ohio State is 12th in sacks and 4th in interceptions so maybe Ohio State can intercept this win in the Sugar Bowl. Alabama is fourth in points against and 17th points for.

Dee’s Corner

Our inside KSHB sports reporter Dee Jackson ways in on the games and gives his pick. Things will be sweet for Alabama and Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. The Buckeyes are the newest addition to the “Quad Squad” grabbing the number 4 spot. The Tide is playing its best football. Amarie Cooper and T. J. Yeldon are a dangerous offensive duo and will score plenty. Alabama Wins and wins the whole playoff and takes home it’s 16th title.

Picks:

Corey Purdom: Ohio State will win due to the powerful defense they have. They have the strength and power to stop Alabama’s offense. Ohio State wins 49-35.

Matt Owens: The SEC will continue to have a team in the championship, as Alabama will beat Ohio State. Ohio State is on their third string quarterback and think that he will be flustered by a Nick Saban Defense. Alabama offense will do just enough to win the game in the end. Alabama 28-14[polldaddy poll=8534937]