Rose Bowl Preview

Rose+Bowl+Preview+

This match up puts the Oregon Ducks (12-1) vs the Florida State Seminoles (13-0). The Ducks dominated their last game against Arizona winning 51-13 and winning the Pac 12 Title. This is while the Seminoles squeaked another win against Georgia Tech and there outstanding triple option offense. The Seminoles barely won the game 37-35 after a back and forth game. The Ducks have dominated most games with only two games being decided by one score, one being the loss to Arizona earlier in the year. The Ducks have beaten the 8th ranked team, Michigan State, number 15 UCLA, number 23 Utah and lately the number 7 team, Arizona. While only losing to Arizona earlier in the year by 7. Florida State has lived by the tips of the fingernails all year long. There wins have been close against teams they shouldn’t have been. The Noles have played seven games decided by one score or less, including one in overtime. The Seminoles have beaten 3 now ranked teams,Clemson, Louisville, and Georgia Tech. All were close games. The Seminoles have also had really close games to 7-5 Notre Dame, 6-6 Miami, 7-5 Boston College, and 6-5 Florida. This matchup puts the likely pick for the Heisman, Marcus Mariota, vs the last year winner Jameis Winston. Both teams are capable of putting up a lot of points on the board, The keys are if the Florida State defense can stop Marcus Mariota and there powerful spread offense. Mariota this season has thrown 38 touchdowns while being picked off just two times. Western Kentucky quarterback Brandon Doughty is the only QB who has thrown more touchdown passes, with 44. But he also has eight more interceptions than Mariota. There’s no quarterback more efficient in college football right now and the Seminoles will have their hands fulls. Also can Jamais Winston can step up for all the games. Will he be able to overcome his off the field issues and just play football. The Seminoles can not get down early and hope to make a fourth quarter comeback. They need to come out strong and put up a strong first quarter if they have a shot to win. This could be the last year for Oregon to make a title run with most likely Marcus Mariota is going to the NFL. They have the flashy style offense and the tough defense to back it up. Florida State though is unbeaten and seem to win all 50-50 moments. It has never happened in Florida State history that they have won back to back titles and undefeated season. They can accomplish both this year. This game will either be an Oregon blow out or a close nailbitter game.

Dee’s Corner

Our insider KSHB sports reporter Dee Jackson ways in on the games and gives his pick History will be be made this season following the first ever college football playoff. Oregon takes on the defending National Champion Florida State Seminoles. QB Marcus Mariota is having Heisman type season. 38 touchdowns and just two interceptions. Oregon lost to Arizona back in October but made the adjustments to beat them in the rematch. FSU is the only undefeated team remaining. They will return to the Rose Bowl where they beat Auburn last season. Jameis Winston off the field antics could have derailed this program, but Jimbo Fisher has picked up the pieces and his team will get an opportunity to defend their title.

Predictions 

Matthew:

Oregon and the most likely Heisman winner Marcus Mariota will be too much for Florida State. I don’t think that Winston will have a great game, and Florida State’s streak ends. Florida State will get down early, but this time they won’t be able to pull it out. Oregon wins 42-21.

Corey:

Florida State is my pick. Thier quarterback Winston has over 3,500 passing yards. With that and Oregon defense being average. Florida State will being passing and running all over Oregon. Florida State wins 49-35.          

[polldaddy poll=8528471]