No Answer

No Answer

March 19, 2024

Rats with Wings

Rats with Wings

March 19, 2024

Everything’s An Aesthetic

Everything’s An Aesthetic

March 19, 2024

Meet your Match

Meet your Match

March 19, 2024

Anything But This

Anything But This

March 19, 2024

Reaching for the Blue Star

Reaching for the Blue Star

March 19, 2024

Forks Down: Aoyama Ramen

Forks Down: Aoyama Ramen

March 18, 2024

Don’t cry over spilt applesauce

Don’t cry over spilt applesauce

March 18, 2024

Patchy Yet Perfect

Patchy Yet Perfect

March 18, 2024

Embrace

Embrace

March 18, 2024

Destiny Review

Destiny+Review

Keegan Dolinar

Rating: 7 out of 10

platforms: Xbox one, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3

players: 1

Activision announced Destiny made over $325 million in sales worldwide in its first week, making it the best-selling new video game franchise of all time.

Players had logged more than 100 million hours of online play by the end of the game’s first week, with 137 million missions taking place.

Within hours, I could tell that its developers Bungie wanted it desperately to be loved by many different types of players. It attempts to weave threads from many popular genres (action, puzzle, arcade) together into one interconnected web, but your experience will depend entirely upon which of those threads you tug on hardest.

The game is a role-playing game and is different from anything I have played before.

Destiny has a rich universe with proper storyline but I think Bungie was trying to avoid flooding the player with cut-scenes and background knowledge that it hasn’t given the player quite enough to work with or get worked up about. For a game that’s establishing a whole new universe, that’s a concern.

Even if it isn’t as open as it first appeared, each of Destiny’s four main planets are more than big enough to get lost in. Even while using your summonable, a Sparrow bike, to get from one end of a planet, to the other takes a while. Factor in all the caves, temples, and other structures; there’s a lot to do and explore. Perhaps not as much as an open-world role playing game or a third person shooter, but despite its similarities, Destiny isn’t either of those things. Overall it has more character than most games of those types anyway.

Even on last-gen hardware, the display throughout Destiny’s landscapes is masterfully crafted. Every rock face, outpost and ruin looks spectacular, aside from a few repeating sceneries. Even if I didn’t always stop to stare at how roads look carved into the terrain, or how gas bubbles to the surface of the iridescent water pools on Venus, these details silently pulled me in and constantly reinforced the idea that that this is an actual place.