SMSD Snow Day Policy

The Shawnee Mission School District will call the location manager at First Student, Leon Cauble. Early in the morning when they are concerned about road conditions and to see if buses are up and running.

A decision will be made as soon as school officials can evaluate temperature and existing road conditions. School closing information is available on the district website. When the decision is made during the evening prior to the day of closing, the information will be provided to the media for broadcast on 10 p.m. television and radio newscasts or the next morning.

During inclement winter weather, district operations and maintenance staff members closely monitor existing road, sidewalk, and driveway conditions and forecasts for additional snow or ice accumulations. The decisions to close schools is usually made no later than 5:30 a.m. Once the announcement to close school has been made it will not be reversed. All building and district offices will be open whenever schools are closed, unless otherwise announced.

All the school in the same area are all going to be out if one school can’t get buses running or a superintendent thinks the roads aren’t safe. Olathe, Shawnee Mission and Blue Valley all communicate as well to get opinions and make the final decision.